Order Free Ubuntu Linux CDs - shipit.ubuntulinux.org

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
In summary, Ubuntu recently changed their policy and now only allows members of registered Linux User Groups to order free Ubuntu CDs.
ranger
Gold Member
You can order free Ubuntu CDs http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
You should probably note that this offer is only for members of registered Linux User Groups.

Did Ubuntu recently change their policy? I got about 15 cds from them a while back and I am not a part of a LUG, or any other groups. I don't even remember Ubuntu asking for anything other than my address and an email account.

Yeah, and I got my Debian Net install cd in about 5 minutes from the web. For Free I might add.

I'm not part of an LUG, and I got like 10 sets of CDS from ubuntu also.

All right, I'll believe you guys, but the site said it was only giving away to members of LUGs. Why would they give 10 or 15 copies to individual users? Are you giving them to your friends or something?

I received 10 also. Ubuntu is really nice (compared to some other "flavors" I have tried).

Are you giving them to your friends or something?

Yes I do. Often I get friends peeking over my shoulder and they see this odd looking user interface on my laptop. So when they ask, I usually give them a set of CDs so they can play with.

Ubuntu recommends that you take more than one. They say that cds are so cheap that you might as well order more, as the real cost is shipping.

I thought this thread is about diff. versions of linux. You can easily go to www. linuxiso.org and download diff. flavors to try out. If you're a first time linux user I recommend knoppix as it boots from the cd and you won't need to install it.

My friend had got 8 copies (early July IIRC) of Ubuntu and gave one to me. Its been on for quite some time it seems.

-- AI

I don't know if anyone cares, but v. 5.10 is available at www.linuxiso.org[/URL] now. The CD will be released early next month, according the Ubuntu site anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Ubuntu Linux?

Ubuntu Linux is a free, open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It is designed to be user-friendly and customizable, making it a popular choice for personal and business use.

How can I order free Ubuntu Linux CDs?

To order free Ubuntu Linux CDs, you can visit the shipit.ubuntulinux.org website and create an account. Once you have an account, you can request up to 10 free CDs per release, which will be shipped to your address at no cost.

Is there a limit to how many CDs I can order?

Yes, there is a limit of 10 CDs per release per person. This is to ensure that the CDs are distributed to as many people as possible.

How long does it take for the CDs to arrive?

The shipping time for the CDs may vary depending on your location. In general, it can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the CDs to arrive at your address.

Can I choose which version of Ubuntu Linux I want on the CDs?

No, the version of Ubuntu Linux on the CDs is determined by the current release at the time of your order. However, you can always download the latest version of Ubuntu Linux for free from the official website.