Help Needed: Understanding Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of category theory in Hungerford's Algebra book for understanding free groups. The first question pertains to a proof in the book where the author uses the Van Der Waerden trick to show that a set of reduced words is a group. The second question asks why the author concludes that the set is associative based on a bijection between the set and a group.
mr.tea
I am trying to learn about free groups(as part of my Bachelor's thesis), and was assigned with Hungerford's Algebra book. Unfortunately, the book uses some aspects from category theory(which I have not learned). If someone has an access to the book and can help me, I would be grateful.

First, in theorem 9.1(2003 edition), he proves that the set of all reduced words, ##F(X)##, of a given set X is a group(under the operation defined), using "Van Der Waerden trick". At some point in the proof he says:" since ## 1 \mapsto x_{1}^{\delta_{1}} \cdots x_{n}^{\delta_{n}} ## under the map ##|x_{1}^{\delta_{1}}|\cdots |x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}| ##, then it follows that ##\varphi## is injective". Can you please explain to me how did he get this conclusion?

Second, in the same proof, he found that this ##\varphi## is a bijection between a set and a group, and therefore concludes that since the group is associative then also the set is. Why is that?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr.tea said:
I am trying to learn about free groups(as part of my Bachelor's thesis), and was assigned with Hungerford's Algebra book. Unfortunately, the book uses some aspects from category theory(which I have not learned). If someone has an access to the book and can help me, I would be grateful.

First, in theorem 9.1(2003 edition), he proves that the set of all reduced words, ##F(X)##, of a given set X is a group(under the operation defined), using "Van Der Waerden trick". At some point in the proof he says:" since ## 1 \mapsto x_{1}^{\delta_{1}} \cdots x_{n}^{\delta_{n}} ## under the map ##|x_{1}^{\delta_{1}}|\cdots |x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}| ##, then it follows that ##\varphi## is injective". Can you please explain to me how did he get this conclusion?

Second, in the same proof, he found that this ##\varphi## is a bijection between a set and a group, and therefore concludes that since the group is associative then also the set is. Why is that?

Thank you.
I cannot answer your first question, because I don't have the book and thus don't know, what exactly your ingredients are: Bartel's trick, the definition of ##|.|## or ##\varphi## and what had happened in the proof until this point. So I'll fold here.

The second question is easier to answer. Let's say we have a bijection ##\varphi : (G,\cdot) \longrightarrow X## from a group into and onto a set. Then we simply can define ##x_1 \circ x_2 := \varphi (\varphi^{-1}(x_1) \cdot \varphi^{-1}(x_2))## as a binary operation on ##X## and the group properties are ##1:1## transported from ##G## to ##(X,\circ )##.

Of course you'll still have to formally prove, that this definition provides associativity. First check whether it is well-defined, then that ##\varphi (g) \circ \varphi (h) = \varphi (g\cdot h)## and next ##(x \circ y) \circ z = x \circ (y \circ z)##.

Last edited:
mr.tea said:
The map ##\varphi## is from the set ##F## of all reduced words to a subgroup of the group of all bijections of ##F##. It maps the word ##x_{1}^{\delta_{1}} \cdots x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}## to the bijection of ##F## denoted by ##|x_{1}^{\delta_{1}}|\cdots |x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}| ##. If ##\varphi## is not injective, then it would take a word ##x_{1}^{\delta_{1}} \cdots x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}\not = 1## to the identity map of ##F##. But the image is the map ##|x_{1}^{\delta_{1}}|\cdots |x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}| ##, which takes the element ##1## of ##F## to the element ##x_{1}^{\delta_{1}} \cdots x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}##, and therefore is not the identity map of ##F##, so ##\varphi## is injective.

mr.tea said:
It is a bit more than that. The set also has an operation and the map is not just a bijection, but also respects the operation i.e. ##\varphi(ab)=\varphi(a)\varphi(b)##. So you have

##\varphi(a(bc))=\varphi(a)\varphi(bc)=\varphi(a)(\varphi(b)\varphi(c))=(\varphi(a)\varphi(b))\varphi(c)=\varphi(ab)\varphi(c)=\varphi((ab)c)##

In the middle it is used that the you have associativity in the image, hence ##\varphi(a(bc))=\varphi((ab)c)##. And since ##\varphi## is a bijection you have ##a(bc)=(ab)c##.

fresh_42 said:
I cannot answer your first question, because I don't have the book and thus don't know, what exactly your ingredients are: Bartel's trick, the definition of ##|.|## or ##\varphi## and what had happened in the proof until this point. So I'll fold here.

The second question is easier to answer. Let's say we have a bijection ##\varphi : (G,\cdot) \longrightarrow X## from a group into and onto a set. Then we simply can define ##x_1 \circ x_2 := \varphi (\varphi^{-1}(x_1) \cdot \varphi^{-1}(x_2))## as a binary operation on ##X## and the group properties are ##1:1## transported from ##G## to ##(X,\circ )##.

Of course you'll still have to formally prove, that this definition provides associativity. First check whether it is well-defined, then that ##\varphi (g) \circ \varphi (h) = \varphi (g\cdot h)## and next ##(x \circ y) \circ z = x \circ (y \circ z)##.

Thank you for your answer!

martinbn said:
If ##\varphi## is not injective, then it would take a word ##x_{1}^{\delta_{1}} \cdots x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}\not = 1## to the identity map of ##F##. But the image is the map ##|x_{1}^{\delta_{1}}|\cdots |x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}| ##, which takes the element ##1## of ##F## to the element ##x_{1}^{\delta_{1}} \cdots x_{n}^{\delta_{n}}##, and therefore is not the identity map of ##F##, so ##\varphi## is injective.

I am sorry. Can you explain a bit more about this part?

martinbn said:
It is a bit more than that. The set also has an operation and the map is not just a bijection, but also respects the operation i.e. ##\varphi(ab)=\varphi(a)\varphi(b)##. So you have

##\varphi(a(bc))=\varphi(a)\varphi(bc)=\varphi(a)(\varphi(b)\varphi(c))=(\varphi(a)\varphi(b))\varphi(c)=\varphi(ab)\varphi(c)=\varphi((ab)c)##

In the middle it is used that the you have associativity in the image, hence ##\varphi(a(bc))=\varphi((ab)c)##. And since ##\varphi## is a bijection you have ##a(bc)=(ab)c##.

Thank you very much, now it's understandable.

Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs?

Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs is a textbook used to teach students the fundamental concepts and techniques of abstract algebra.

2. Who is the intended audience for Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs?

The textbook is primarily aimed at undergraduate mathematics students who have already taken a course in linear algebra and are looking to further their understanding of abstract algebra.

3. What topics are covered in Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics, including groups, rings, fields, modules, and Galois theory. It also includes proofs of important theorems such as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra and the Cayley-Hamilton Theorem.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs?

As mentioned before, students should have a strong understanding of linear algebra before attempting to study abstract algebra. It is also helpful to have a basic knowledge of mathematical proofs and logic.

5. How can I use Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs to improve my understanding of abstract algebra?

The best way to use Hungerford's Algebra Book Proofs is to actively engage with the material, working through the exercises and trying to prove the theorems on your own before reading the provided proofs. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as lectures or study groups, to supplement your learning.