Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free HTML editors?

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1

EL

Science Advisor

I need suggestions for nice free HTML editors of WYSIWYG type.
    I have found one, "Nvu", I have started playing around with, but don't have the experience to tell wheter it is good or not. If you have any favourite ones, please let me know!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have in fact exactly the same question. I'm used to dreamweaver MX, but I don't have a 100% legal copy (I had an old copy from an old employer etc...), and for a project I'd now need a fully legal and free solution which can be distributed amongst several people, which looks as much as possible like dreamweaver...
    I've also seen Nvu, and I'd like to know if it is good, or if there is better around...

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3

KTC

If you can ignore the fact that it's not been maintained for a couple of years, sure Nvu's good.

Else, have a look at SeaMonkey Composer, it's probably quite good. (Disclaimer: Never actually used it.)

5. Oct 28, 2007 #4
  6. Nov 4, 2007 #5
    i'm using MacroMedia Dreamweaver, its worth only, i like it, more over its very comfortable and easy to worth , css also we can edit easily, compare Nuv, its effective, try it out this

7. Nov 5, 2007 #6

KTC

The OP and the first replier asking the same question both clearly states free. Whether that's as in free beer or as in free speech, Dreamweaver clearly don't qualify.

8. Nov 15, 2007 #7

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I'll go for Kompozer. It's not Dreamweaver, but it seems to be usable, and it is free and still maintained. I also had a look at Amaya, but that bugged regularly on my PC.

9. Nov 22, 2007 #8
    I use Arisesoft Winsyntax simply because it's free, and has highlighting for (X)HTML, CSS, PHP, and other languages. That and it's very small/lean. Check it out: http://www.winsyntax.com/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?