Free HTML Web Hosting: Find A Multipage Host

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has taught themselves HTML and wants to show a friend, but the files are on their computer. They are looking for a free, multipage web hoster where they can add their own HTML code and are also seeking help on how to use FTP. The expert suggests downloading an FTP client and using a quick Google search to find a free web host. They also provide instructions on how to use FTP, stating that it is easy to navigate if you can navigate your own computer's file system.
mariexotoni
hi.. i just taught myself HTML and wanted to show one of my friends. The problem is, the files are on my computer (how do i use FTP?!) and is there anyway i can find a free, multipage web hoster that you can add your own html code?

Technology news on Phys.org
mariexotoni said:
hi.. i just taught myself HTML and wanted to show one of my friends. The problem is, the files are on my computer (how do i use FTP?!) and is there anyway i can find a free, multipage web hoster that you can add your own html code?

For FTP, just either download one of the many GUI programs that do this or use a command line based ones (windows has ftp, go to command prompt and type ftp and you will get the console).

As for web hosting go to google and type something along the lines of 'free web hosting'.

Google is your friend ;)

I don't really know any hosts offhand, but a quick Google search revealed many free ones. You probably get some free space with your ISP, all of the ISP's I've used over the years offer this feature.

To use FTP:

Download an FTP client. I use Filezilla, and it's free.
Install it. Open it.
Your web host will give you an address for your website. Enter it into the host field along with your username and password. The port will default to 21 which is fine.
You will be presented with a File Explorer interface, your computer in one pane, and the webserver in another. You can select files on either pane and Upload/Download.

That's it. If you can navigate your own computer's file system, you can use FTP :)

1. What is free HTML web hosting?

Free HTML web hosting is a service that allows individuals or organizations to publish their website on the internet without any cost. It provides server space and tools for creating and managing a website using HTML, the standard markup language for creating web pages.

2. How can I find a free multipage host for my website?

There are many free hosting providers that offer multipage hosting for HTML websites. You can search for them using a search engine or visit online directories that list free hosting services. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or colleagues who have experience with free hosting providers.

3. What are the limitations of free HTML web hosting?

Free HTML web hosting may have some limitations compared to paid hosting services. These limitations can include limited storage space, bandwidth, and features. Free hosting providers may also display ads on your website or have restrictions on the type of content you can publish.

4. Are there any risks associated with free HTML web hosting?

There are some risks associated with free hosting services. These can include the possibility of your website being suspended or deleted without notice, as well as security vulnerabilities due to the shared server environment. It is important to carefully research and choose a reputable hosting provider to minimize these risks.

5. Can I upgrade from free HTML web hosting to a paid service in the future?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from free HTML web hosting to a paid service in the future. Many hosting providers offer different plans that allow you to upgrade and access more features and resources as your website grows. It is important to check the terms and conditions of your hosting provider to ensure a smooth transition to a paid service.