1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free particle in One Dimension

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    Consider a free particle moving in one dimension. The state functions for this particle are all elements of [tex]L^2[/tex]. Show that the expectation of the momentum [tex]\langle p_x \rangle[/tex] vanishes in any state that is purely real. Does this property hold for [tex]\langle H \rangle[/tex]? Does it hold for [tex]\langle H \rangle[/tex]?

For [tex]\langle p_x \rangle [/tex], we have

[tex] \langle p_x \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^* \hat{p_x} \phi dx[/tex]
    [tex] = - i \hbar \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx})(-Aik \cdot e^{-ikx} + Bik \cdot e^{ikx}) dx[/tex]
    [tex] = -\hbar k \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [A^2 - B^2][/tex],

since we need to have [tex] kx = n\pi[/tex] to satisfy the condition that the wavefunction must be real. But, the above integral diverges to infinity (assuming that [tex] A \neq B[/tex]).

I'll post the second and third parts a bit later, but have I correctly shown that the expectation of the momentum vanishes?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2
    I would do this:
    First try to get purely real functions that are elements of L2; squaring wavefunction gives you something like (A^2 +B^2)* exp(2ikx) + 2AB -> 0, when x-> inf. Considering purely real functions gets you A=-B... put that in your equation in the end and you get desired result.
  4. Jun 24, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

kx=n*pi has nothing to do with the wavefunction being real. Nor does A=(-B). The condition you want is B=conjugate(A). That must be true for every momentum component of the wave function. exp(ikx) and exp(-ikx) represent opposite direction momentum components. What does that tell you?
  5. Jun 24, 2008 #4
    Ah, yes, I understand why this must be true now... because we need [tex]\phi^* = \phi[/tex]... that was a careless error on my part heh. Also, what exactly does it mean for it to 'vanish'? Does this mean go to 0 or go to infinity? Infinity would be nicer...
  6. Jun 24, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've never heard of 'vanish' meaning 'go to infinity'. In your example the contribution of the exp(ikx) part is equal and opposite to the contribution of the exp(-ikx) part. They cancel. They are also orthogonal, so there are no cross terms. A general wavefunction is a superposition of such functions where A is a function of time and the wavenumber k, A(k,t). But the conclusion still holds.
  7. Jun 24, 2008 #6
    Hmm... okay i think I understand now. Thanks =)
  8. Oct 12, 2008 #7
    what is the uncertainity of a free particle moving in one dimension
  9. Oct 12, 2008 #8
    Your proof is incomplete: you focus on a very particular type of real wavefunction, namely with a fixed value for [itex] p_x^2 [/itex]. However, what you have to prove is that for *any* real wavefunction [itex] \langle p_x\rangle =0. [/itex] There is no need to expand your wavefunction in plane waves, although, as Dick said, it gives a simple intuitive picture for why the momentum is zero on average.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?