1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Particle on spherical surface

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By finding the Lagrangian and using the metric:
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}R^2&0\\0&R^2sin^2(\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]
    show that:
    [tex]\theta (t)=arccos(\sqrt{1-\frac{A^2}{\omega^2}}cos(\omega t +\theta_o))[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I got the lagrangian to be [itex] L=R^2 \dot{\theta^2} +R^2sin^2(\theta)\dot{\phi^2}[/itex] and then used the E-L equation to find the equations of motion and the fact that [itex] 2R^2sin^2(\theta) \dot{\phi}=const=p [/itex].
    Using this and substituting into the equation i get for [itex]\theta[/itex] I get:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}(2R^2\dot{\theta})=\frac{p^2}{2R^2}cot(\theta)csc^2(\theta)[/tex]
    which I then integrate using the substitution [itex]dt=d\theta / \dot{\theta}[/itex] to get:
    [tex]\dot{\theta}=\frac{p}{2R^2}\sqrt{c-\frac{1}{2}sin^{-2}(\theta)}[/tex]
    Where c is the integration constant. Now if I seperate variables to attempt to get a solution for [itex]\theta[/itex] i get:
    [tex]\int _{\theta_o}^{\theta} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{c-\frac{1}{2}sin^{-2}}}=\frac{tp}{2R^2}[/tex]
    But i have absolutely no idea how to solve that integral. Please any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Mar 1, 2016 #3
    Ah okay, I did just try [itex]u=cos(\theta)[/itex] but it gives:
    [tex] \int \frac{du}{\sqrt{c(1-u^2)-1/2}}[/tex]
    It didn't prove to be any easier to solve.
    Also tired doing [itex]u=cos(\theta)[/itex] from the beginning just now as you suggested in the other post (although this could be the wrong substitution) and I must be doing something wrong because I get a complex square root on the LHS of the differential equation for [itex] \dot{u} [/itex].

5. Mar 1, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a quite standard integral. It is of the form
    $$
    \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}.
    $$

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5
    Thankyou so much! I managed to get the answer now, i think it was just the fact i hadn't noticed that it was a standard integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted