1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free particle wavefunction

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At time t=0 free particle is found in state psi=const*sin(3x)*exp[i(5y+z)]. What values for energy and for momentum we can get if we measure them at t=0 and with what probability?

2. Relevant equations
    Well, we know that eigenvalues of energy and momentum operator for free particle are (hbar*k)^2/(2m) and hbar*k respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, does measured momentum equal hbar*(0, 5, 1) and energy 13(hbar)^2/m? Is probability 100%? Book hints that we can get different values for momentum, not just one I stated before. How is it possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

You've got the y and z momentum correct. But You've not got the correct x momentum. In the wavefunction, the bit that depends on x is: sin(3x) So you've got to think of how to express this in terms of eigenstates.

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3
    With the use of Fourier transform? But if my limits of integration are infinity, I get diverging integrals. What limits should I use?

5. Dec 29, 2011 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

you don't need to do anything complicated. I'm sure you must have learned about how to write a sine function as a sum of two complex exponentials... (that's the hint)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook