Free Physics & Astronomy Books: Explore the Cosmos

In summary: Quantum Field Theory" by Prof. David TongIn summary, there are a variety of free resources available for learning about a wide range of physics topics. These resources include textbooks, lecture notes, and online courses. These resources can be helpful for both beginners and experts in physics, and can be accessed at any time for self-study or as a supplement to formal education.
Sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not realize or thought that the links to the LL books may be violation of copyright. Mods, would you please remove them?

Thank you so much it worked!

I think the link for Computational Physics with Python is broken too. Can I get ther link? will be a great help. Thanks

Thanks for the books..

The US Navy's Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series (NEETS) are training books, designed to aid in training Navy personnel with learning about electrical and electronic fundamentals. They have been approved for public release, and are available as PDF files. If you are getting started, learning about electricity and electronics (or just refreshing your memory), they are worth a look.

I have found them in various places across the Internet, but I like the way that Davidson College has a web page index of all 24 NEETS training courses, with descriptions and links to download each PDF file.NOTE. It seems that Davidson College is no longer hosting these. I found them at the Internet Archive:

https://ia600608.us.archive.org/35/items/NEETSModules/

Last edited:
Likes manushanmugam
Is it legal to download these books?

Thanks! downloaded the QFT one.

R_Sarav said:
Is it legal to download these books?
Anything that has been put up here adheres to copyright policies. PF moderation is very strict about that. So, everything posted in this thread is legal.

Likes pinball1970 and YoungPhysicist
Wrichik Basu said:
Anything that has been put up here adheres to copyright policies. PF moderation is very strict about that. So, everything posted in this thread is legal.
That great news for everyone, especially for young/unexperienced beginners like me.

Due to the fact that I just realized wave-particle duality is outdated for 50 years this morning on this forum so i just want to make sure:

Are all the books here up-to-date? just trying not to waste my time again on out-dated concepts.

Well, if you'd through away all textbooks, even newer ones, on quantum theory that start with the usual introductory historical tale, there'd be no textbook left anymore. The reason is that it is very hard to find another way than the historical approach to start teaching quantum theory. Of course, one should always emphasize that the old quantum theory leads to wrong (and even qualitatively wrong!) pictures in students' minds, but on the other hand there's no way to understand quantum theory as a physical theory without a minimum knowledge about how the quite abstract formalism of QM came into being.

Of course there are attempts to avoid this didactical dilemma by not using the historical approach. One I love very much is

J. Schwinger, Quantum Mechanics - Symbolism for atomic measurements, Springer Verlag

The problem with this book, however, is that it is far beyond the beginner level. I don't think that one can understand quantum mechanics from using this book as the first textbook on the subject. However, if you have some familiarity with quantum mechanics, the epilogue chapter of this book is a must to be read. It's very clear about the physical meaning of the quantum formalism.

Likes YoungPhysicist
vanhees71 said:
Well, if you'd through away all textbooks, even newer ones, on quantum theory that start with the usual introductory historical tale, there'd be no textbook left anymore. The reason is that it is very hard to find another way than the historical approach to start teaching quantum theory.
I AM WELL AWARED OF THAT.
I was actually asking more of a "do the have the knowledge up to date" rather than "do that not have the knowledge out dated) but since your post answered my question so this is just a small notification:smile:

Nice book for me 3 years later though.

Young physicist said:
That one is broken
somebody put it up on https://www.calvin.edu/~pribeiro/courses/engr315/EMFT_Book.pdf.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Wrichik Basu said:
everything posted in this thread is legal.
Except stuff that we haven't noticed yet, or that nobody has reported to us as being suspicious. We don't "pre-approve" posts here, so it's possible something inappropriate might slip past us temporarily.

Likes YoungPhysicist
jtbell said:
Except stuff that we haven't noticed yet, or that nobody has reported to us as being suspicious. We don't "pre-approve" posts here, so it's possible something inappropriate might slip past us temporarily.
Well, I believe in you

vanhees71 said:
J. Schwinger, Quantum Mechanics - Symbolism for atomic measurements, Springer Verlag

However, if you have some familiarity with quantum mechanics, the epilogue chapter of this book is a must to be read. It's very clear about the physical meaning of the quantum formalism.
What epilogue chapter? The version of the book I have ends with chapter 12. Electromagnetic Radiation.

jtbell said:
Such chances are really less. Speaking from my experience here. Thanks to the hard work by the moderators here.

Likes Lynda Jhon and vanhees71
Demystifier said:
What epilogue chapter? The version of the book I have ends with chapter 12. Electromagnetic Radiation.
Argh. Of cose I meant Prologue Chapter ;-(.

Likes Keith_McClary, Lynda Jhon and Demystifier
Great post this thanks.

Feynman Lectures on the Strong Interactions
Posted on June 15, 2020 by woit
Available at the arXiv this evening is something quite fascinating. Jim Cline has posted course notes from Feynman’s last course, given in 1987-88 on QCD. There are also some audio files of a few of the lectures available here. The course was interrupted by Feynman’s final illness, with the last lecture given just a couple weeks before Feynman’s death in February of 1988. There’s an introduction to the notes by Cline in which he explains more about the course and how the notes came to be.

The course was given over thirty years ago, and many textbooks have appeared since then, but it seems to me this has held up well as an excellent place for a student to go to learn the subject.

Likes vanhees71 and FourEyedRaven