Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Free Physics Books

1. Jul 5, 2017 #41
    It's more like applied physics, but I like the SimWiki a lot! introduction in simulation techniques with the numerics and physics supporting it.
    Check it out if you like: https://www.simscale.com/docs/content/simwiki.html

2. Jul 28, 2017 #42
    Thanks for the books..

3. Aug 9, 2017 #43

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The US Navy's Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series (NEETS) are training books, designed to aid in training Navy personnel with learning about electrical and electronic fundamentals. They have been approved for public release, and are available as PDF files. If you are getting started, learning about electricity and electronics (or just refreshing your memory), they are worth a look.

I have found them in various places across the Internet, but I like the way that Davidson College has a web page index of all 24 NEETS training courses, with descriptions and links to download each PDF file.
    http://www.phy.davidson.edu/instrumentation/NEETS.htm

4. Jun 28, 2018 #44
    Is it legal to download these books?

5. Aug 26, 2018 #45
    Thanks! downloaded the QFT one.

6. Aug 27, 2018 #46

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

Anything that has been put up here adheres to copyright policies. PF moderation is very strict about that. So, everything posted in this thread is legal.

7. Aug 27, 2018 #47
    That great news for everyone, especially for young/unexperienced beginners like me.

8. Aug 27, 2018 #48
    Due to the fact that I just realized wave-particle duality is outdated for 50 years this morning on this forum so i just want to make sure:

Are all the books here up-to-date? just trying not to waste my time again on out-dated concepts.

9. Aug 27, 2018 #49

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Well, if you'd through away all textbooks, even newer ones, on quantum theory that start with the usual introductory historical tale, there'd be no textbook left anymore. The reason is that it is very hard to find another way than the historical approach to start teaching quantum theory. Of course, one should always emphasize that the old quantum theory leads to wrong (and even qualitatively wrong!) pictures in students' minds, but on the other hand there's no way to understand quantum theory as a physical theory without a minimum knowledge about how the quite abstract formalism of QM came into being.

Of course there are attempts to avoid this didactical dilemma by not using the historical approach. One I love very much is

J. Schwinger, Quantum Mechanics - Symbolism for atomic measurements, Springer Verlag

The problem with this book, however, is that it is far beyond the beginner level. I don't think that one can understand quantum mechanics from using this book as the first textbook on the subject. However, if you have some familiarity with quantum mechanics, the epilogue chapter of this book is a must to be read. It's very clear about the physical meaning of the quantum formalism.

10. Aug 27, 2018 #50
    I AM WELL AWARED OF THAT.
    I was actually asking more of a "do the have the knowledge up to date" rather than "do that not have the knowledge out dated) but since your post answered my question so this is just a small notification:smile:

Nice book for me 3 years later though.

11. Aug 27, 2018 #51
  12. Aug 27, 2018 #52

Marc Rindermann

Gold Member

13. Aug 27, 2018 #53

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Except stuff that we haven't noticed yet, or that nobody has reported to us as being suspicious. We don't "pre-approve" posts here, so it's possible something inappropriate might slip past us temporarily.

14. Aug 28, 2018 #54
    Well, I believe in you

15. Aug 28, 2018 #55

Demystifier

Science Advisor

What epilogue chapter? The version of the book I have ends with chapter 12. Electromagnetic Radiation.

16. Aug 28, 2018 #56

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

Such chances are really less. Speaking from my experience here. Thanks to the hard work by the moderators here.

17. Aug 28, 2018 #57

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Argh. Of cose I meant Prologue Chapter ;-(.

18. Oct 2, 2018 #58
    Thanks !

19. Oct 4, 2018 #59
    Great post this thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted