Probability of Finding Protons on a Line Segment at t = 10 s

In summary, there are 10^5 noninteracting protons on a line segment 10 cm long at t = 0. It is equally probable to find any proton at any point on this segment. At t = 10 s, there are still 10^5 protons on the segment, but it is equally probable to find any proton at any point on the segment.
Domnu
At t = 0, 10^5 noninteracting protons are known to be on a line segment 10 cm long. It is equally probable to find any proton at any point on this segment. How many protons remain on the segment at t = 10 s?

Attempt at Solution
We can create a wavefunction for this scenario:

[tex]\psi(x, 0) = \frac{1}{10} \forall x \in (-5, 5)[/tex]

Everywhere else, we can let [tex]\phi = 0[/tex]. Now, we need to try to find [tex]|\psi(x, 10)|^2[/tex] where [tex]x[/tex] ranges from -5 to 5. To do this, we first construct [tex]|\psi(x, t)|^2[/tex]. Since

[tex]\psi(x, t) = \exp \left(-\frac{i\hat{H}t}{\hbar}\right) \psi(x, 0)[/tex]

we want to have [tex]\psi(x, 0)[/tex] in terms of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian operator so that we can have

[tex]\psi(x, t) = \exp \left(-\frac{iE_n t}{\hbar}\right) \psi(x, 0) = \exp (-i \omega_n t)[/tex]

However, since the eigenstates of the momentum operator are eigenstates of the Hamiltonian operator, we can find [tex]\psi(x, 0)[/tex] in terms of the eigenstates of the momentum operator. We will now do this.

Note that

[tex]\psi(x, 0) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} b(k) \phi_k dk[/tex]

[tex]b(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi(x, 0) \phi_k^* dx[/tex]

imples that

[tex] b(k) = \int_{-5}^{5} \frac{1}{10} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \cdot e^{-ikx} dx = \frac{\sin 5k}{5k\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]

Now, we have

[tex]\psi(x, 0) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin 5k}{5k\sqrt{2\pi}} \phi_k dk[/tex]

So,

[tex]\psi(x, t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i \omega t}\frac{\sin 5k}{5k\sqrt{2\pi}} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\cdot e^{ikx} dk[/tex]

How do I proceed to integrate from here? It turns out to be extremely ugly...

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I think I got the coefficients [tex]b(k)[/tex] incorrectly. Would the bounds actually go from - to + infinity? The protons are actually free, right? In that case, we'd have

[tex]b(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ikx} dx = \frac{\sqrt{2\pi}}{10} \delta (k)[/tex]

Is this correct?

No, [itex]\psi(x,0)=0[/itex], outside (-5,5).

If that were the case, then wouldn't the protons always be in the region? Or would the wavefunction eventually evolve so that it would spread out?

1. What are free protons?

Free protons are subatomic particles that carry a positive charge and are found in the nucleus of an atom. They are essential for holding the nucleus together and are one of the building blocks of matter.

2. How are free protons produced?

Free protons are produced through a process called nuclear fusion, where the nuclei of atoms merge to form heavier elements. They can also be created through radioactive decay or in high-energy particle accelerators.

3. What is the probability of finding a free proton?

The probability of finding a free proton depends on the environment it is in. In the universe, free protons are abundant and can be found in stars, interstellar gas, and cosmic rays. However, on Earth, free protons are rare and can only be found in extremely high-energy environments.

4. How do free protons affect the properties of matter?

Free protons play a major role in determining the properties of matter. They are responsible for the electrical charge of an atom and can influence its chemical and physical properties. They also interact with other particles, such as electrons, to form atoms and molecules.

5. Can free protons be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, free protons can be manipulated and controlled through various methods, such as using magnetic fields or accelerating them with electric fields. This is essential in fields like nuclear physics and particle accelerators, where free protons are used for research and experiments.