Where Can I Find a Free Download of QuickBASIC 4.5?

• Thread starter mewhoexactlywhat
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has been using QBasic in school and is looking for a free download to use on weekends. They have encountered issues with a previous download and are seeking advice on how to resolve them. They have also purchased a new floppy drive and have successfully resolved their issues.
mewhoexactlywhat
I've been using QBasic (Quick Basic) in school and wanted to go over it on the weekends, but I can't find a download anywhere that works (I downloaded one version but the screen was too small, and it didn't seem to be able to retrieve information from the floppy disk, if anyone knows any other reason why this might be that would be very helpful). Does anyone know of any free downloads available? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You say the screen is "too small". Is that because it is opening in a console window? If so, try (I think) ALT-ENTER to get into full screen mode.

If you have trouble retrieving files from disk, it might be because the filenames or paths might not conform to the 8.3 filename format. Does your program have the .bas extension? Of course, it's also possible that your floppy diskette or drive is bad. If so, get a flash drive.

If I recall correctly, there are two versions of QuickBASIC:
qbasic, which was rather limited, and
QuickBASIC 4.5 ("qb45"), which was much more powerful. Try googling "qb45"?

Thanks! You're right, ALT-ENTER did fix the window problem. The program does have the .bas extension, but the floppy drive that I'm using is kind of old, so it's possible that that's the problem. Thank you very much. :smile:

I bought a new floppy drive and it turned out that the old one must have been the problem because everything works great now. Thank you. :biggrin:

pardon me, but what's the name of your qbasic version?

It's QuickBASIC 4.5.

What is QBasic?

QBasic is a programming language and development environment created by Microsoft in 1985. It is designed for beginners to learn programming and for creating simple applications.

Is QBasic free to download?

Yes, QBasic is free to download. It was included as a part of MS-DOS and Windows operating systems, but it is no longer supported by Microsoft. However, there are many websites where you can download QBasic for free.

What are the system requirements for QBasic?

QBasic is a very lightweight program and does not require a lot of resources. It can run on any computer with a DOS or Windows operating system, and at least 512KB of RAM.

Is QBasic still relevant today?

While QBasic is no longer supported by Microsoft, it is still used by some programmers and hobbyists for its simplicity and ease of use. However, it is not commonly used for professional development as there are more advanced and modern programming languages available.

Can I create professional applications with QBasic?

QBasic is not designed for creating complex or professional applications. It is more suitable for learning the basics of programming and creating simple programs and games. For professional development, it is recommended to use more advanced programming languages.