Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free small OS code?

1. Sep 9, 2006 #1
    I am presently learning operating system fundamentals.

Can anyone tell me m from where I can get free very small operating system code, in order to understand how it basically works?

It will be big help....(Please exclude Linux :))

Thanks in anticipation/
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

I remember in my OS course we used a simulator from Brown University i think which allowed you to load an OS's kernel on top. For that class we were using a kernel written by a professor at my university. The assignments involved coding portions of the kernel that were intentionally left out.

The Brown Simulator:

The Kernel is here:
    Though if i remeber it is password protected, and it since it has missing portions it wouldn't really function very well.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  4. Sep 9, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've only heard about it; I haven't tried to use it. But this might be what you're looking for.
  5. Sep 9, 2006 #4
    OS/161 is designed to teach undergraduate students about operating systems over four months. That's what they used to teach me in third-year. I honestly don't know if it's still good to learn from without a lecturer.

It's inspired by, but not based off of, NachOS, which is also meant to be instructional.

They are sort of hard to set up in the first place (or were when I used them).

I've also heard of Xinu:

6. Sep 11, 2006 #5
  7. Sep 11, 2006 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?