Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free time physics Project

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could aid me in finding an idea for a new project. I was quite sure where to place this thread, so forgiveme if its in the wrong place.
    School has just started, and as usual, I am stuck with loads of free time until my classes get up to speed. I figured I would be able to put this time to some good use.
    I have done the usual potato guns, and dry ice bombs, and im looking for something a little more challangeing. It would be nice if your ideas would be a tad bit less likely to get me arrested then my previous endevors.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2
    How about making a 10-foot tall Tesla coil?

If you do it correctly, it will launch 10-foot long sparks or longer.

4. Sep 17, 2005 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

5. Sep 18, 2005 #4
    Build a spherical tokamak. That's what I'm doing.

6. Sep 18, 2005 #5
    highschool? learn to code your own physics engine...particle systems, rigid bodies, deformation materials, EB stuff...etc.
    using real physics and not psuedo modelling.

7. Sep 20, 2005 #6
    I have tried the programing scene, but I have had a hard time teaching myself a ligitamate language.
    Yes, I am a high school senior, so I dont have a large budget, which is part of the problem. And my school decided a few years back to end shop class, so I only have limited access to machinery.
    How hard would it be to build some thing like a minature linear accelerator?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?