1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free variable

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    |1 0-1-2-8 | -3|
    |0 0 1 2 7 | 1|
    |0 0 0 1 -4 | -13|

I think that x[itex]_{2}[/itex] is a free variable, so when writing the general solution in a solution set, what would I put for it? Nothing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You could say that x2 is arbitrary or you could say that x2 = t, an arbitrary real number.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3
    Oh ok thanks for that, I got it.

5. Jan 31, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you write out the equations in detail you see that there is no ##x_2## anywhere in the system. I would not put anything for it; it does not "exist" for this system, no more than ##x_{17}## or ##x_{265}## exist here. However, I suppose you *could* argue the point.

6. Jan 31, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say ##x^2+y^2=1## in ##R^3## represents a cylinder. Saying it's a circle in the plane because z doesn't occur isn't really a good answer.

7. Jan 31, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree, but in the case herein, the "appropriate" view depends on what space you want to operate in.

In ##\mathbb{R}^5## the component ##x_2## is arbitrary, so the described "figure" is like a cylinder parallel to the 2-axis. However, we can look at the problem instead in ##\mathbb{R}^3##, where the problem is to represent the (column) vector ##(-3,1,-13)^T## as a linear combination of the 3-dimensional vectors in columns 1--5. The second column is the zero vector, so would have no effect at all on anything in the problem. Having an extraneous ##x_2## does not change the geometry in any way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted