Free Will

• Thread starter DrWatson
  • Start date
If there is an omnipotent god, how can we have free will? An omnipotent being would know the future, therefore the future would be set down, and we could not make decisions for ourselves.

Your question presupposes there is such a thing as future. The question of time flowing remains open.

Are you suggesting thaty time merely is and always will be now, with the future being now and the past now at the same, excuse me, time?

I like that.

That doesn't sound convincing. Let's leave the past aside for the moment. If you know the future already then there is no decision to make about it. Using the word decision implies that the future can still be either this way or that way, but then it is not known.

We CAN'T 'leave the past aside, because what now seems the future will become the past.

I agree with you. If you know the future then there is no decision to make about it.

On the other side, if you don't know the future that does not entail that the future does not exist. It exists the similar way the past does. And your free will (if there is one) have taken part in it's creation already, if one look's upon it from the future.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting thaty time merely is and always will be now, with the future being now and the past now at the same, excuse me, time?

I like that.

Yes, I think that may well be true. Certainly Physics leaves that door open for now and that fits with my personal theology.