Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Willy Whale Jump

1. Oct 24, 2004 #1
    Well, I'm pretty sure this is impossible. But anyone have this proven. I need to try n prove this for my class. Any help is apperaciated. By the way, killer whales top speed is 13.5 m/s, he jumps out of the water at abotu a 45 degree andgle and the pier he jumps is 15 feet high and 10 feet long.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2004 #2

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

if we are just concerned with whether it is possible or not, then I would have to say that it is indeed possible, likely or not is a diferenmt story.

using the formulas:
    Maximum range = (Vi^2/g)*sin(2*angle) gives us the max range of the whale, I get 18.58 meters.

Y position = tan(angle)X - (g*vi)/((2(Vi*sin(angle)))^2) gives us the height (Y) at a given position X, well if we assume the whale time the jump perfectly so that the maximum height will occur at the center of the pier, then that mean that the max height would be at about 9.29 meters from where the whale originally jumps, with a height of 9.04 meter (about 30 feet). and then will land another 9.29 meters from the center of pier.

I didnt spen too much time checking all my calculations and the numbers I used in them, but I am fairly confident in my answer of yes, the whale, could make the jump.

4. Oct 25, 2004 #3

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

does anyone want to back me up on this, disagree with me, or will we just assume that I am right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?