Draw Freebody Diagram: 10+ Forces at Rest

• Thread starter checkmarks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the speaker is looking for help with drawing a force diagram of an object/person at rest that has 10 or 11 forces on it. They are considering using an image of a cat on a ball or a basket of a balloon. They ask for suggestions and the other person suggests adding ropes, different objects on the floor, objects suspended under the basket, and ropes tethering it to the ground. The wind is also mentioned as a possible force.
checkmarks
This isn't a problem, its just an assignment I've been given. I need to draw the FBD of an object/person at rest that has 10 or 11 forces on it.

I was thinking of using this: http://www.canada-shops.com/Stores/michaelrodents/Images/Category/190372.jpg
but i can only think of 5 forces so far (Fnormal, Fgravity, Fteacup, Fbook, Fumbrella+fishbowl). Is there anymore you can find? And if there isn't 10 forces on it, could you suggest something that probably will? (I was previously thinking about a snowboard, but it needs to be at rest).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi checkmarks!
:smile: erm … that cat isn't at rest, either! :smile:

How about the basket of a balloon?

isn't it? if the cat isn't moving on the ball and the ball is still?

hmm...i can only think of a few...please expand?
thankss

checkmarks said:
hmm...i can only think of a few...please expand?
thankss

Well, for a start, you could put dozens of ropes on the basket, joining it to the balloon itself.

And you could have various different objects on the floor of the basket.

And other objects suspended under the basket.

And one or more ropes tethering it to the ground.

And the wind … :smile:

thank you so much!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object in a given situation. It helps to identify and understand the forces acting on an object and their directions.

2. Why is it important to draw a free body diagram?

Drawing a free body diagram is important because it helps to analyze and solve problems involving forces acting on an object. It provides a clear and organized visual representation of all the forces, making it easier to understand and apply Newton's laws of motion.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot or a box to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force. Label each force with its corresponding symbol or name.

4. What are some examples of forces that can be included in a free body diagram?

Some examples of forces that can be included in a free body diagram are gravity, friction, normal force, tension, applied force, and air resistance. These forces can act in different directions and have different magnitudes, so it is important to accurately represent them in the diagram.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for objects at rest?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects at rest. In this case, the sum of all the forces acting on the object must be equal to zero, according to Newton's first law of motion. Drawing a free body diagram for an object at rest can help to determine if the forces are balanced or unbalanced, and identify any missing forces that may be causing the object to remain at rest.