1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freebody/Force Diagrams

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    Hello all. I had a question about freebody diagrams. I know how to draw them and solve for forces/acceleration/mass/friction but one thing I was confused about is when you list summation of forces in either X or Y direction if there's a specific order to list them in, or if it matters. I know to list forces like Force of tension - Force friction =max but where would the X component of gravity fit in? I know the +/- symbols account for direction of the vector but does it matter in which order the forces are put in? Thanks for any and all help in advance! Hoping for a quick reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    real numbers are associative and commutative (a mathematical property meaning it doesn't matter in what order you add/subtract them). 1 + 2 = 3 as does 2 +1

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  4. Jun 12, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Order doesn't matter (as long as you have the signs right). Addition is commutative: A + B = B + A.

(Does gravity have a horizontal component? :wink:)

5. Jun 12, 2008 #4
    Thanks guys! I had a feeling I wasn't just getting lucky each time :D.

It sure does when you turn your paper theta degrees, haha.

I look forward to posting more and contributing, as I was a lurker before this. You guys are very helpful and damn fast! Again, thanks guys.

6. Jun 12, 2008 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd suggest that you first write the "SUM of the Forces" vectorially.
    [tex]\vec T+ \vec W+\vec f[/tex] (order not important), then choose your axes, then break into components...
    [tex] T_x+ W_x+ f_x[/tex] (keep order for bookkeeping)
    [tex] T_y+ W_y+f_y[/tex],
    then write "0" or the appropriate signed quantities for certain components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook