Are French Fries Back on the Menu for US Lawmakers?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
In summary, French fries are back on the menu for US lawmakers on Capital Hill, replacing the "freedom fries" that were put in place over three years ago in response to France's refusal to join the US-led war in Iraq. Despite the name, French fries were actually invented in Belgium and are a national food there. The reason for the name is because they are "frenched" or cut into lengthwise pieces. However, the US's previous actions displayed an archaic and jingoistic attitude and they did not even get the origin of the name correct. In England, fries are called chips and are typically served with a variety of sauces. They are also a popular fast food item in Belgium, where they are served from small
Dimitri Terryn said:
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Assets/Images_Upload/nb0110frieten.jpg

The perfect fries. Thicker then the McDonnalds ones, but not the quarter potatoes the Brits serve.

I rest my case! :tongue2:

They look OK but what is that "white devils" sauce on them, chips/fries have to have ketchup or brown sauce on them, it's the law! At least in the UK, who puts mayo on chips that's not just offensive to all right thinking Brits, that's downright sacrelige:wink: :smile:

besides "There are two types of people in the world those who like mayonaise and those who don't"

I forget who said that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you can't call it white devils sauce, that's just nasty on the devil

The perfect fries. Thicker then the McDonnalds ones, but not the quarter potatoes the Brits serve.
they aint quarter potato, they are 10 x 10 x 100 (average) or in us terms 1/2" x 1/2" x 5" which aint a quarter of a potato

sauces just spoil good food, unless its some good food that goes well with it, and the mayoneais sause isnot a chip complimentary substence, unlike tomato sauce not ketchup.

though chips go best with a good drowning of vinegar and a seasonable snowing of salt

Well, let's just say that the UK-kitchen (well the entire England kitchen) is, err, not exactly the best in the world.
Misconception! The UK 'Kitchen' Is equal to that of Belgium and better than Holland. Anyway what do you mean by kitchen? I can guarantee we have far more michelen star restaurant, far more home grown michelen star chiefs than Belgium. Belgium food is actually good, I prefer it to French, well it is basically French food but with less fuss, and more beer stews (Which is very British as well I may add).

Dimitri Terryn said:
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Assets/Images_Upload/nb0110frieten.jpg

I rest my case! :tongue2:

:yuck: You dip stick, i was all most sick in my mouth :smile: yes i have tried them in belgium and i all most bought my beer back up.

BobG said:
Personally, I always liked the French fries they served at Cedar Point (an amusment park near Cleveland, Ohio). With some salt and vinegar, they were fantastic.
The place on the boardwalk had salt and vinegar as an option too, but I hadn't yet acquired a taste for that as a kid (I love it now). I've tasted mayo on fries at the urging of European friends, but apparently have not acquired that taste yet either. If the fries are made properly, you don't need any sauce to dip them in, they are tasty all by themselves (maybe with a little salt)! I mostly resort to ketchup on the more tasteless fries (like those atrocities Burger King serves...they shouldn't even be called fries, they taste all wrong).

Anttech said:
The UK 'Kitchen' Is equal to that of Belgium and better than Holland.
:rofl:
You are going to compare with Holland ?

Anyway what do you mean by kitchen?
:rolleyes: What do you think ?

I can guarantee we have far more michelen star restaurant, far more home grown michelen star chiefs than Belgium.

It's Michelin. Well, the UK is much bigger than Belgium, so...

But what i wanted to say is this : the food served in a top rated restaurant does not represent the general average cuisine of a country. In such places, the chefs may be coming from different countries or are influenced by different eating cultures. So, such cuisines are NOT representative. Or do you eat in such restaurants every evening ?

Belgium food is actually good, I prefer it to French, well it is basically French food but with less fuss, and more beer stews (Which is very British as well I may add).
<sighs>

French food with less fuss, yeah right. Try getting a "boterham met jonge kaas" in France. Try getting a good steak (saignant :wink:) with Belgian Fries in France, try getting hutsepot in France...

C'mon man, obviously, you do not know what you are talking about.

Amd finally, just because in your country there is more drinking going on does not imply that your beers are any better. Just read the international reviews of Belgian beers and you won't need to reply to what i have just said.

Just agree with me in advance, it will save you a lot of time, trust me...

marlon

This thread is making me hungry.

lol that's the first thing that's made me laugh in this thread for a while

i give yoiu the prize that you have a biger wit than me at this momet

english food is good in some respect

Just agree with me in advance, it will save you a lot of time, trust me...
Never!
Amd finally, just because in your country there is more drinking going on does not imply that your beers are any better. Just read the international reviews of Belgian beers and you won't need to reply to what i have just said.
Not disputing that, Orval is the best beer I have EVER tasted!
But what i wanted to say is this : the food served in a top rated restaurant does not represent the general average cuisine of a country. In such places, the chefs may be coming from different countries or are influenced by different eating cultures. So, such cuisines are NOT representative. Or do you eat in such restaurants every evening ?
If you read what I said, I said 'home grown' which implies they are from the UK, not international! The average cuisine in the UK is good, and IMO just as good as Belgium, and it is saying a lot because I truly like Belgium food. Honestly mucker you will find many similarities between Belgium and British food.
You are going to compare with Holland ?
Good point well presented! :wink:

wolram said:
:yuck: You dip stick, i was all most sick in my mouth :smile: yes i have tried them in belgium and i all most bought my beer back up.

That has nothin to do with the fries, it's you Brits who can't stomach decent beer :biggrin:

Dimitri Terryn said:
That has nothin to do with the fries, it's you Brits who can't stomach decent beer :biggrin:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Uncle, uncle, you do have drinkable beer, but
girly glasses :tongue2:

loseyourname said:
That's interesting. That type of cut is called a "julienne" cut. How on Earth did anyone ever come to call it "Frenched?"
Frenched is a correct term, it's not quite the same as juliened.

"Frenched

The process of cutting food in a specific way to assist with the preparation of the item. When vegetables such as beans, peppers or potatoes are cut into long thin strips, the preparation process refers to the vegetables as being "frenched"."

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=35683

Anttech said:
Misconception! The UK 'Kitchen' Is equal to that of Belgium and better than Holland. Anyway what do you mean by kitchen? I can guarantee we have far more michelen star restaurant, far more home grown michelen star chiefs than Belgium. Belgium food is actually good, I prefer it to French, well it is basically French food but with less fuss, and more beer stews (Which is very British as well I may add).

Indeed, French cuisine is based on English cuisine, they took an art perfected it and then sold it back to us, 'tis true. English cuisine is well respected, I mean chefs with those michelin stars and that type of thing rather than the traditional image of bangers and mash and steak and kidney pie(nothing wrong with those but, we English do know how to cook) Of course literally speaking all English cuisine comes from the continent being our ancestors probably crossed the land bridge that existed after the reatreat of the last ice age :smile: The case still stands our ineptitude in the kitchen is a myth.

Anttech said:
Never!
I know, i know, it's annoying when one has to admit a mistake. Only little children react like this though.

Not disputing that,
Yes you were. read your own words please.

If you read what I said, I said 'home grown' which implies they are from the UK, not international!

This is not the point. I reacted to the fact that there are more Michelin chefs in the UK. this does not imply that "general" cuisine in a country is better than elswhere. This is exactly what you were trying to say but, sorry, it's not going to fly...

The average cuisine in the UK is good,

I disagree (along with 95 % of the European continent)

and IMO just as good as Belgium,

You are entitled to have your own opinion.

Honestly mucker you will find many similarities between Belgium and British food.

Honestly mucker, you will find many such similarities, i am sure...Just name me a few, ok ?:rolleyes:

Good point well presented! :wink:
Indeed

marlon

Anttech said:
Misconception! The UK 'Kitchen' Is equal to that of Belgium and better than Holland.
Yeah - I've lived and worked in all three.

The UK is definitely out on top.

The only things the Belgians do better is moules frites, and the Dutch...

...well, if you deep fry everything, you ain't getting a Michelin star :biggrin:

...well, if you deep fry everything, you ain't getting a Michelin star
damn, my plan won't work

star.torturer said:
damn, my plan won't work
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4159/febovq2.jpg

These guy's plans did tho' :yuck:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :yuck:

The famous Dutch 'hole in the wall' kaas soufflé anyone?

J77 said:
Yeah - I've lived and worked in all three.

The UK is definitely out on top.

The only things the Belgians do better is moules frites, and the Dutch...

...well, if you deep fry everything, you ain't getting a Michelin star :biggrin:

hey Snap, me too :) and I agree with you ;)

UK top
BE 2nd
NL Last (by far)

Rach3 said:
In retrospect, that was rather absurd...

There should be something in our constitution to prevent this from happening again. You know, like "separation of idiot and state."

but then there would be no state

We will all be taking meal pills soon, well it is darwinian, i just hope the important bits of our anatomy do not devolve :cry:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
They look OK but what is that "white devils" sauce on them, chips/fries have to have ketchup or brown sauce on them, it's the law! At least in the UK, who puts mayo on chips that's not just offensive to all right thinking Brits, that's downright sacrelige:wink: :smile:

besides "There are two types of people in the world those who like mayonaise and those who don't"

I forget who said that.

Nah everyone knows that the best way to have fries is when they are smothered in cheese and gravy...you will die an early artery clogged death but damn its good.

cheese and gravy? more like salt and vinegar! nice and traditional

Donner chips n cheese :) mmmmmmmmmmmm

Doner and cheese! :yuck:

Chips and chilli sauce :biggrin:

Yeap... layer of chips then cheese topped with donner, and uzzing with donner sauce (obviously after 10 or so pints) don't knock it till u tried it :)

Anttech said:
Yeap... layer of chips then cheese topped with donner, and uzzing with donner sauce (obviously after 10 or so pints) don't knock it till u tried it :)
I was enjoying that on my way back from the pub when I was 15 :biggrin:

scorpa said:
Nah everyone knows that the best way to have fries is when they are smothered in cheese and gravy...you will die an early artery clogged death but damn its good.

Yeah sure, some combinations are great but I'm just saying Mayonaise on chips is an offense to God and England.:wink: :smile:

Chips 'n gravy is lush BTW. *drools onto his legs*

Never tried chile sauce on chips but:-

Kebab shop owner: Kood evaning

Patron: Can I 'ave aaa large Chickern Kebapb please(patron is slightly inebriated nay pretty plastered)

Kebab shop owner: sure

Patron *turns to talk to his mates about what he would do if he was Tony Blair or something equally beer induced*

3 minutes of political witt ensues were the entire UK government is deconstructed and reconstructed to some glorious shining beacon of hope(at least in your mind anyway)

Kebab :Khey you want chile sauce on that?

Why oh why do I always say yes, here's what he's really asking: -

Kebab shop owner: You aman or you a girly boy, you got balls khey mista you got what it takes! Cmon you know you love it! hey khadi we got another one of them, hey princess what'll it be.

All your mates are looking at you, your masculinity and the question of it rests on this one proposition, the world stops turning and for one shinning moment there is absolute clarity of purpose.

Next morning: S**t what was I eating last night? My mouth tastes like the leftovers from a nuclear reactor, now you have to put up with a taste in your mouth that has a half life of just under a thousand years. To go with that finely tuned dull ache in a mushy grey fugue in your head.

Chile sauce is sooo nice, but just so damned evil:devil:

Last edited:
There is this chippy in Warwick that has the most bogus chili sauce, they make their own, it is like paste and is hot on so many levels but it is a smooth hotness, i am used to asking for loads of chili sauce, when i did at this place the guy had a big grin on his face, after afew bites my lips went numb a few more and my tongue followed 3/4 of the way through my belly started growling and i could not taste the pickled chili side order.
When ever i go to Warwick i make a bee line for that chippy for a killer kebab. :biggrin:

scorpa said:
:cry: Then you have soggy fries! Fries are supposed to be crispy, not soggy. :frown: And thanks everyone, you have me craving fries so badly every time I read this thread that I'm going to have to go and clog a few arteries! :grumpy:

They aren't soggy if you eat them right away. Poutine (fries cheese and gravy) is the best!