Freedom of Speech: Existence, Limitations & Abuse

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of freedom of speech and its limitations. The participants touched on the issue of who has the right to limit freedom of speech and the potential abuse of that power. They also discussed a recent incident where a government official asserted his right to not have his speech recorded, sparking a debate on the extent of freedom of speech. The conversation concluded with a brief mention of the freedom of the press and the incorrect understanding of constitutional law by a Supreme Court justice.
Adam
Freedom of speech. Must it be complete to exist at all? If it is limited, who has the right to limit it, and why? What if their principles are completely different to mine? What if they abuse their power to limit it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you realize just how lucky you are to have that amazing list of constitutionally guaranteed freedoms. We don't have it here.

Adam said:
Freedom of speech. Must it be complete to exist at all? If it is limited, who has the right to limit it, and why? What if their principles are completely different to mine? What if they abuse their power to limit it?

We had a test problem in the US last week. Justice Scalia of the Supreme Court gave a speech and the marshals who are assigned to protect him destroyed reporter's tapes of the speech that they were making. After a free-speech hoo hah, Scalia apologized two days later, but he asserted he had a first amendment right to have his speech not copied. The first amendment guarantees freedom of speech (though the courts have held it's not absolute), but this is the first time we've heard somebody say it guarantees a right not to have your words taken down and published.

selfAdjoint said:
We had a test problem in the US last week. Justice Scalia of the Supreme Court gave a speech and the marshals who are assigned to protect him destroyed reporter's tapes of the speech that they were making. After a free-speech hoo hah, Scalia apologized two days later, but he asserted he had a first amendment right to have his speech not copied. The first amendment guarantees freedom of speech (though the courts have held it's not absolute), but this is the first time we've heard somebody say it guarantees a right not to have your words taken down and published.

It's not the first time I've seen this as an issue. I've been to see speakers on different occasions where taping (either video or audio) were not allowed. You were able to take notes if you wished but no taping. You were, of course, allowed to order the tapes that the speaker was marketing $$.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to say whatever you want, whenever you want.
Freedom of speech DOES however mean that you can criticize anyone and anything,and the law protects your right to do it.
It does not give you the right to protest on private property, to disrupt the rest of society at any given time, to ruin private events being held at rented public places, or to incite crimes through hate speech (if your hate speech can be linked strongly enough, then it becomes conspiracy and/or can implicate you in resulting crimes).

kat said:
It's not the first time I've seen this as an issue. I've been to see speakers on different occasions where taping (either video or audio) were not allowed. You were able to take notes if you wished but no taping. You were, of course, allowed to order the tapes that the speaker was marketing $$.

And if this is in a setting that is paid for by someone besides the tax payer, or in public, then that is their right.
You are paying admission to the setting they create, and thus the rules in that setting.

If that person gives that speech in public, or you can get that recording while on public property (legally there), then tough crap for them! Record away!

Adam said:
We've had this discussion before: just like the last time we had it (it hasn't changed) no freedom can ever be absolute. This according to Locke (the first to adequately define modern rights), the US constitution, and the US supreme court.

edit:
No, wait, scratch that: before I give my rebuttal to your argument, you first give your argument. I do remember reading somewhere that's how a debate works...

Last edited:
Must it be complete to exist at all?

I don't have a good idea of what this means. Honestly unless you are more specific in your questions I cannot give a good response. Your questions are way too broad and open ended to receive adequate responses, especially on a forum.

phatmonky said:
And if this is in a setting that is paid for by someone besides the tax payer, or in public, then that is their right.
You are paying admission to the setting they create, and thus the rules in that setting.

If that person gives that speech in public, or you can get that recording while on public property (legally there), then tough crap for them! Record away!
Right, we actually agree on something.

If a government official rents a hall and gives a private speech, he has the right to his words and control over their use. He has, if nothing else, the right to demand no tape be made...its his house, his rules.

When a government official is speaking in an official capacity, or in public, he has very few rights, if any.

I didn't see anybody mention freedom of the press. The same amendment that guarantees the freedom of speech guarantees the freedom of the press. If somebody said something somewhere, the press has the right to report it. If somebody can hear something in a speech, they have the right to record it for accuracy. And they can publish it. What they don't have the right to do is sell it without the original authors permission. But that's not the case here.

Scalia was way out of line. The fact that when he apologized he said, "I've learned my lesson," is not a little disturbing. He should have learned constitutional law before sitting on the Supreme court.

1. What is freedom of speech?

Freedom of speech is the right to express oneself without fear of censorship or retaliation. It is a fundamental human right that allows individuals to share their opinions, beliefs, and ideas freely in public without interference from the government or other individuals.

2. Does freedom of speech have any limitations?

Yes, freedom of speech is not an absolute right and can be limited in certain situations. For example, speech that incites violence, promotes hate speech, or poses a threat to national security can be restricted. Additionally, defamation, obscenity, and copyright infringement are also considered limitations to freedom of speech.

3. What is the difference between freedom of speech and freedom of expression?

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Freedom of speech refers specifically to verbal or written communication, while freedom of expression encompasses a broader range of forms of expression, including artistic expression, symbolic speech, and non-verbal communication.

4. How can freedom of speech be abused?

Freedom of speech can be abused when it is used to spread false information, incite violence, or discriminate against certain groups of people. Hate speech and propaganda are also forms of abuse of freedom of speech that can have harmful consequences on individuals and society as a whole.

5. Can private organizations limit freedom of speech?

Private organizations, such as social media platforms, have the right to set their own guidelines and restrictions on freedom of speech within their platforms. However, they must abide by the laws and regulations of the countries in which they operate. This means that they cannot censor speech that is protected under the law, but they can moderate and restrict speech that violates their terms of service.