Freedom of speech

• News
  • Thread starter azzkika
  • Start date
DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
You can see what the result would be, by reading some Usenet newsgroups,
Yup, and I notice that OP does not answer my question which is kinda of humorous:

Freedom of Speech = I dump my private thoughts straight out as "the truth", and then ignore any difficult viewpoints!

:biggrin:

Freedom of Speech = I dump my private thoughts straight out as "the truth", and then ignore any difficult viewpoints!
Perhaps a little too close to home? :uhh:

DevilsAvocado
Gold Member
:rofl:

You can see what the result would be, by reading some Usenet newsgroups, or by reading the comments section at the bottom of most articles on cnn.com. (Maybe CNN does moderate those comments, but I sure can't tell by looking at them!)
usenet got along just fine until AOL and webTV

usenet got along just fine until AOL and webTV
Yeah, but you did run across things you could never 'un-see' while just looking for harmless chat. Nothing like downloading a rar file of documents, only to find someone having maritals with a dog in a jpeg. That's a true story btw, and I still have no CLUE why some people would pull that kind of stupid junk.

That's extreme, but Usenet was notorious for "caveat emptor" ruling over every intellectual or digital transaction.

AOL was miserable, but at least it put up a partition between people trying to hustle teenagers and the rest of us trying to just use the internet. If that's what Usenet getting along fine was, no thank you at this point in my life.

...it does not take long for topics on these matters to quickly become locked as many things are deemed offensive.
Locking a thread is a lot easier than moderating it. Having been an admin or mod for a quarter of a century, I do not consider thread locking to be a valid tool.

Unfortunately, sometimes it is necessary to lock a thread, but that's usually either at the outset, when the topic itself violates forum rules, or when the posts have become so prolific and rule-violating that mod resources are simply overwhelmed.

As far as "offense" goes, it's not something people do to others. It's something people take, as in "I took offense to that." He who refuses to take offense cannot be offended.

Democracy has long been dead and censorship of thought and opinion seeks to keep it that way.
Depending on the forum, censorship sometimes abounds, but that's the right (and sometimes the responsibility) of those who own/run the forum. I've found only slight censorship, here, which is one of the reasons I enjoy returning here.

If you'd like to find an online place void of censorship, one where you can openly discuss anything you want, they're a dime a dozen, or you can start your own.

Personally, I find an appropriatedly-moderated forum a welcome refreshment compared to most forums, some of which read like a sewage treatment plant.