1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freefall Acceleration of a Raindrop

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    I have an answer that does not seem right:

The raindrop falls from 1700m high with constant acceleration of 9.81 m / s^2
    What is the velocity of the raindrop not considering any resistance?

i used y - yo = vo * t - (1/2) g t^2 to get the time to hit the ground at 18.62 seconds.

I then plugged that into v = vo + a t to get 182.63 m / s which seems kind of fast for a raindrop, right? Can anyone help? Please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So that would imply, that in reality, you cannot ignore air resistance, if you want a meaningful value for the velocity of a rain drop. I did not check your numbers but they do not seem unreasonable, for this ideal but unrealistic scenario.

Edit, checked your numbers they are right in all of the signifiant digits.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    Thank you for the help :approve: I always get worried that I did something wrong when numbers do not turn out to appear reasonable.
  5. Sep 16, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Check out Stokes' resistance law on a sphere moving through a viscous fluid.
    This yields a fall velocity consistent with experiments on the fall velocity of fog droplets.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?