Freefall Acceleration of a Raindrop

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a raindrop falling from a height of 1700m without considering air resistance. The calculated velocity is 182.63 m/s, which seems fast for a raindrop. However, it is mentioned that in reality, air resistance cannot be ignored to get a more accurate value. Stokes' resistance law is suggested as a way to calculate the fall velocity of fog droplets.
VinnyCee
I have an answer that does not seem right:

The raindrop falls from 1700m high with constant acceleration of 9.81 m / s^2
What is the velocity of the raindrop not considering any resistance?

i used y - yo = vo * t - (1/2) g t^2 to get the time to hit the ground at 18.62 seconds.

I then plugged that into v = vo + a t to get 182.63 m / s which seems kind of fast for a raindrop, right? Can anyone help? Please?

Physics news on Phys.org
So that would imply, that in reality, you cannot ignore air resistance, if you want a meaningful value for the velocity of a rain drop. I did not check your numbers but they do not seem unreasonable, for this ideal but unrealistic scenario.

Edit, checked your numbers they are right in all of the signifiant digits.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help :approve: I always get worried that I did something wrong when numbers do not turn out to appear reasonable.

Check out Stokes' resistance law on a sphere moving through a viscous fluid.
This yields a fall velocity consistent with experiments on the fall velocity of fog droplets.

1. What is freefall acceleration of a raindrop?

Freefall acceleration of a raindrop is the acceleration experienced by a raindrop as it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

2. What is the value of freefall acceleration for a raindrop?

The value of freefall acceleration for a raindrop is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on Earth.

3. How does air resistance affect the freefall acceleration of a raindrop?

Air resistance can affect the freefall acceleration of a raindrop by slowing down its rate of acceleration. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force to the downward force of gravity on the raindrop.

4. Does the mass of a raindrop affect its freefall acceleration?

No, the mass of a raindrop does not affect its freefall acceleration. All objects, regardless of their mass, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity in a vacuum.

5. Can the freefall acceleration of a raindrop be measured?

Yes, the freefall acceleration of a raindrop can be measured using tools such as a stopwatch and a ruler to calculate the time and distance of the raindrop's fall. This can be done in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory, to reduce the effects of air resistance.