Understanding Exercise 3 and 8 in Freefall and Motion Law

In summary: The thing was, I couldn't calculate |v| since that would be sqrt(16 + 100t), because there is a t. But now that you've mentioned the cross product, I can calculate v x a with the determinant(it's 40k), and if I calculate v.a/v x a the magnitudes of the vectors v and a reduce...
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
I've attached the pictures to this
Relevant Equations
F=ma, dot product
I need help with the exercises attached in the pictures. Basically, exercise 3 is already solved but I need some help understanding every subpoint (for example, at a) how did we get to 0=H -g* tAO/2 , I know it's from the motion law and vA=0, but why is y(t)=0?). And I tried solving ex 8, but I need help at a) and c). I calculated the velocity and the acc but I don't know how I could find the angle between the two (cross product was my guess but I'm not sure), and c) I know that to find the trajectory eq I need to eliminate time, but I don't know for sure how I'm supposed to do that. Even if you don't explain both exercises or not all subpoints, anything is appreciated as I have a test next week and I need to understand. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot (244).png
    Screenshot (244).png
    45.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot (246).png
    Screenshot (246).png
    24.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20201028_204035.jpg
    20201028_204035.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 82
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei0408 said:
Homework Statement:: I've attached the pictures to this
Relevant Equations:: F=ma, dot product

why is y(t)=0?
You can choose the reference point for having height zero however you like. The author has chosen the ground as illustrated in the diagram, so the initial height is H and height at time of interest (landing) is zero.
Andrei0408 said:

angle between the two (cross product was my guess
That certainly works as a step along tge way, but the dot product is easier.
Given vectors ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## with angle ##\theta## between them, what expressions can you write for ##|\vec u.\vec v|## and ##|\vec u\times \vec v|## in terms of ##|\vec u|##, ##|\vec v|## and angle ##\theta##?
Andrei0408 said:

to find the trajectory eq I need to eliminate time
You are almost there. You have t equal to a function of x and t equal to a function of y, so...

haruspex said:
You can choose the reference point for having height zero however you like. The author has chosen the ground as illustrated in the diagram, so the initial height is H and height at time of interest (landing) is zero.

Given vectors ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## with angle ##\theta## between them, what expressions can you write for ##|\vec u.\vec v|## and ##|\vec u\times \vec v|## in terms of ##|\vec u|##, ##|\vec v|## and angle ##\theta##?

You are almost there. You have t equal to a function of x and t equal to a function of y, so...
I mean to say dot product there. But I get v=100t which would give me a weird result. Could you help me a bit more? Also at c) I know I need to eliminate time, so I subtracted the two relations, is this correct?

Attachments

• 20201029_201300.jpg
    20201029_201300.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20201029_201248.jpg
    20201029_201248.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201029_200523.jpg
    20201029_200523.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20201029_200532.jpg
    20201029_200532.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 73
Andrei0408 said:
I get v=100t
No, you got ##\vec v.\vec a=100t##. How do you get from there to the angle? Can you answer the question I asked about the dot product in post #2?
Andrei0408 said:
at c) I know I need to eliminate time, so I subtracted the two relations, is this correct?
Your answer looks right.

haruspex said:

I mean to say dot product there.
haruspex said:
No, you got ##\vec v.\vec a=100t##. How do you get from there to the angle? Can you answer the question I asked about the dot product in post #2?

Your answer looks right.
Well v.a = |v| * |a| * cosθ and v x a = |v| * |a| * sinθ

Andrei0408 said:
I mean to say dot product there.
Well v.a = |v| * |a| * cosθ and v x a = |v| * |a| * sinθ
Roght, so what do you get for cosθ from your dot product?

haruspex said:
Roght, so what do you get for cosθ from your dot product?
cosθ = v.a / |v| * |a| . The thing was, I couldn't calculate |v| since that would be sqrt(16 + 100t), because there is a t. But now that you've mentioned the cross product, I can calculate v x a with the determinant(it's 40k), and if I calculate v.a/v x a the magnitudes of the vectors v and a reduce and I get cosθ/sinθ = 100t/40k, which is cotθ=100t/40k. So θ=arccot(100t/40k). But even in this form, I can't really get a proper angle. Did I complicate things or is this right?

Andrei0408 said:
that would be sqrt(16 + 100t)
t2.
The question does not specify a value for t, so it is to be expected that the answer is a function of t.

Likes Andrei0408
haruspex said:
t2.
The question does not specify a value for t, so it is to be expected that the answer is a function of t.
Thank you!

1. What is freefall?

Freefall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity only. This means that the object is not experiencing any other forces, such as air resistance, and is falling towards the ground at a constant acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does air resistance affect freefall?

Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and opposes the motion of an object. In freefall, air resistance can slow down the acceleration of the object and eventually reach a terminal velocity where the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity.

4. What is the difference between freefall and projectile motion?

Freefall is a type of motion where an object is only affected by the force of gravity, while projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and is affected by both gravity and air resistance. In freefall, the object is falling straight down, while in projectile motion, the object follows a curved path.

5. How is acceleration related to freefall?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In freefall, the acceleration of an object is constant at 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that for every second an object is in freefall, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.