1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freefall physics homework

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    I'm having some problems with this question, A ball is thrown directly downward, with an initial speed of 8.25 m/s, from a height of 29.4 m. After what time interval does the ball strike the ground?

I tried 29.4 + 8.25 m/s(x) + 1/2(-9.8m/s)(x), but that didn't turn out to be right. Can I get some help with this one?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Well in a xy coordinate system, initial position will be its height, and when it hits the ground it will have a position of 0, so it's final position must be 0

4. Sep 13, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

wrong sign... and more

I assume you are trying to apply the following kinematic equation:
    y = y_0 + v_0 t + (1/2)a t^2
    Be sure to use a consistent sign convention: not only is the acceleration negative (a = - 9.8 m/s^2), don't forget that the initial velocity is also negative since it is thrown downward.
    And, as Cyclovenom points out, the final postion is where y = 0. Solve for t.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  5. Sep 13, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget that the x (I would prefer t!) in the bold quantity needs to be squared.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?