1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freefall Problem

1. Aug 20, 2005 #1
    hi. i've been trying to do this problem for about 5 hrs...and i still can't get it! :bugeye: If anyone of you could please point me in the right direction, i'd really appreciate it.

The Problem is: A rock dropped from a cliff falls one-third of its total distance to the ground in the last second of its fall. How high is the cliff?
    Answer Given = 145.7 m

I've tried drawing a diagram, substituting, but im still missing some concept! i can't get the answer given.

I know the 4 kinematic equations commonly used in class are
    1. X = Xo + Vavg*t
    2. X = Xo + Vo*t + (1/2)*a*t^2
    3. V^2 = Vo^2 + 2*a*deltaX
    4. V = Vo + a*t

i know, that since its falling off a cliff, the acceleration = g. and i have a picture but i don't know how to draw it on the computer. i've been trying to find the final velocity of the rock as it travels 2/3 down the cliff, because that final velocity would be the initial velocity of the rock as it falls the last 1/3 in a time of t= 1 second. But i can't figure out the time it takes the rock to travel the first 2/3 down the cliff. so in conclusion, i don't know what im doing. several pages of random tries and still nothing.... thx in advance.

- frustrated high school student :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Using your eqn 2),
    dist fallen in t secs is x
    dist fallen in (t-1) secs is (2/3)x

4. Aug 20, 2005 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you substitute Xo = Vo = 0 and a = g, then you have 2 Eq'ns in 2 unknowns (X and t):

X = (1/2)*a*t^2
    2X/3 = (1/2)*a*(t-1)^2

5. Aug 20, 2005 #4
    Relief!

thank you very much for your help Fermat and EnumaElish. I c how to work the problem now. till we meet again, bye. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?