Freefall Problem: Solving for the Height of a Cliff

• Thread starter antimatter1422
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freefall
In summary, the conversation is about a frustrated high school student who has been unable to solve a problem involving a rock falling from a cliff. They have tried various equations and methods, but still cannot find the solution. Two other individuals provide helpful tips and reminders about the kinematic equations and how to approach the problem. Finally, the student expresses gratitude for the assistance and signs off.
antimatter1422
hi. I've been trying to do this problem for about 5 hrs...and i still can't get it! :bugeye: If anyone of you could please point me in the right direction, i'd really appreciate it.

The Problem is: A rock dropped from a cliff falls one-third of its total distance to the ground in the last second of its fall. How high is the cliff?
Answer Given = 145.7 m

I've tried drawing a diagram, substituting, but I am still missing some concept! i can't get the answer given.

I know the 4 kinematic equations commonly used in class are
1. X = Xo + Vavg*t
2. X = Xo + Vo*t + (1/2)*a*t^2
3. V^2 = Vo^2 + 2*a*deltaX
4. V = Vo + a*t

i know, that since its falling off a cliff, the acceleration = g. and i have a picture but i don't know how to draw it on the computer. I've been trying to find the final velocity of the rock as it travels 2/3 down the cliff, because that final velocity would be the initial velocity of the rock as it falls the last 1/3 in a time of t= 1 second. But i can't figure out the time it takes the rock to travel the first 2/3 down the cliff. so in conclusion, i don't know what I am doing. several pages of random tries and still nothing... thanks in advance.

- frustrated high school student :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Using your eqn 2),
dist fallen in t secs is x
dist fallen in (t-1) secs is (2/3)x

When you substitute Xo = Vo = 0 and a = g, then you have 2 Eq'ns in 2 unknowns (X and t):

X = (1/2)*a*t^2
2X/3 = (1/2)*a*(t-1)^2

Relief!

thank you very much for your help Fermat and EnumaElish. I c how to work the problem now. till we meet again, bye. :rofl:

1. What is the freefall problem?

The freefall problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the height of a cliff based on the time it takes for an object to fall from the top to the bottom of the cliff.

2. How do you solve for the height of a cliff in the freefall problem?

To solve for the height of a cliff in the freefall problem, you will need to use the formula h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height of the cliff, g is the gravitational acceleration (typically 9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time it takes for the object to fall.

3. What are the key assumptions in the freefall problem?

The key assumptions in the freefall problem are that the object is only affected by gravity, there is no air resistance, and the object is dropped from rest at the top of the cliff.

4. How does the freefall problem relate to real-life situations?

The freefall problem is often used to analyze real-life situations such as skydiving, bungee jumping, and freefall rides in amusement parks. It can also be used to calculate the height of objects such as towers or buildings.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the freefall problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the freefall problem include using the incorrect value for gravitational acceleration, not converting units properly, and not accounting for air resistance or initial velocity of the object. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.