1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freefall Problems.

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    For a freely falling object dropped from rest, what is the acceleration at the following times?
    a.the end of the 2nd second
    b. the end of the 10th second
    c. the end of any elapsed time t

Given-
    A= -9.80m/s^2
    Vi=0m/s

Do you have to find the final velocity, then acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2
    Your initial velocity is 0 m/s. The object is falling, but there is no reason to attribute a negative value to acceleration due to gravity on this coordinate system. Velocity increases by 9.8 m/s every second.

Therefore,
    v = 9.8(t)

(I can only assume your question asks for VELOCITY after elapsed time, as acceleration is constant)

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    Why wouldn't it be negative, I thought when it said dropped from rest meant it is lower than 0?

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4
    If it is dropped from rest, it is falling towards earth. Acceleration is in that same direction, therefore the signs of velocity and acceleration must agree.

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5
    I asked my teacher about it, and she said the 9.8 is always negative, so how do i work out the problems?

7. Aug 24, 2011 #6
    No, it's not. It's negative if you attribute a coordinate system in which it is negative. In your example, if you do so, you must also attritube your velocity as negative since they are in the same direction (as I noted above)

- v = -9.8(t)
    and
    v = 9.8(t)

are the exact same thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook