Calculating Distance and Time for Freely Falling Bodies

In summary, there are two balls in motion - one dropped from rest from a 24 m high cliff, and the other thrown straight up from ground level with the same initial speed as the first ball when it hits the ground. The motions of the balls are the reverse of each other. The question is asking for the distance below the cliff where the balls cross paths. The solution involves using kinematic equations and setting the distances traveled by each ball as a function of time equal to the height of the cliff.
Chiralic

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from rest from the top of a cliff that is 24 m high. From ground level a second ball is thrown straight up at the same instand theat the first ball is fropped. The initial speed of the second ball is the same as that with which the fist ball hits the ground. In absense of air resistance, the motions of the balls are just the revers of each other. How far below the cliff do the balls cross paths?

Homework Equations

kinematic equations involving vi, vf, a, x and y and time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it takes 2.21 s to fall 24 m, and for ball 2 to reach vi of ball one. Vf1 = vi2= 21.7 m/s

help!

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, so good. Now write expressions for the position of each ball as a function of time. (Make sure you measure the position from the same point for each.) Then you can solve for where the paths intersect.

Sorry, you've completely lost me...I keep getting 24 m with what I'm trying...any other thoughts?

Chiralic said:
Sorry, you've completely lost me...I keep getting 24 m with what I'm trying...any other thoughts?
Can you show what you're doing?

write the distances traveled by each as a function of time
then add them and equate to the hight of the cliff

does this help? or do u need more?

1. What is a freely falling body?

A freely falling body is an object that is only influenced by gravity as it falls, meaning there is no external force acting upon it.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity for freely falling bodies?

The acceleration due to gravity for freely falling bodies on Earth is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How does air resistance affect a freely falling body?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the acceleration of a freely falling body due to the force it exerts in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

4. What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled by a freely falling body?

The formula for calculating the distance traveled by a freely falling body is d = ½ x g x t², where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds.

5. Can a freely falling body reach a terminal velocity?

Yes, a freely falling body can reach a terminal velocity when the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity instead of continuously accelerating.