1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freely Falling Objects

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    Hey Everybody,

I am a little perplexed on how to answer this problem, I got an answer, but it doesn't seem to fit within the context of the problem. I don't know if it is because I am using the wrong equation, or if I am just plugging the numbers in wrong:

A rocket is fired vertically upward with an initial velocity of 80.0 m/s. It accelerates upward at 4.00 m/s^2 until it reaches an altitude of 1000 m. At that point, its engines fail and the rocket goes into free flight, with an acceleration of -9.8 m/s^2. (a) How long is the rocket in motion? (b) What is its maximum altitude? (c) What is its velocity just before it collides with the earth?

Also, I was wondering if someone would mind checking this problem for me:

The Height of a helicopter above the ground is given by h=3.00t^3, (h is in m., t is in s.) After 2.00 s, the helicopter releases a small mailbag. How long after its release does the mailbag reach the ground?

Thanks for the help!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    i)use v^2=u^2+2as to get the velocity when its at 1000m.
    ii)Then use s=ut+1/2*at^2 to get the time of flight. The "u" in the formula is the velocity at the altidue 1000m which you determined in (i). s=-1000 and a=-9.8. find t. this will be the time of flight after it switched off the engines. to get the time b4 it did this use the same forumla only sub in s=1000 a=4 and u=0. add the two times together

iii) for max altidude use same equation as in (i) onlys sub in v=0 a=-9.8 (as opposed to 4) and u= what ever you got in (i) originally. find s and add 100 to it

iv)for final velocity use v=u+at where u is the velocity after the engines are switch off (determine in (i)) a=-9.8 and t is the time off flight after engines are switched off.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?