Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Freelyfalling bodies again

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a stone is dropped from rest into a hole. the speed of sound is 343 m/s in air. the sound of the stone striking bottom is heard 1.5s after the stone is dropped, how deep is the hole?

2. Relevant equations kinematics equations

3. The attempt at a solution

not a clue. I know that in 1.5 s it has to drop, hit bottom, and the sound of it travels at 343 m/s back up to vi.:yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track, just express it mathematically.
    Total time = time for stone to fall X meters + time for sound to travel X meters.

(Then you can solve for X.)

4. Jun 9, 2007 #3
    Ok, I understand what your saying, but how do I do this with so many missing variables? if 1.5s = dt + dt...but I dont have either d or t for the stone or sound. or can I somehow use: total T = 1/2 at2(squared) + something with speed of sound...Its just on the tip of my brain! or is my logic way off...

5. Jun 10, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: The stone and the sound waves both travel the same distance. For the stone: Use falling body kinematics to express the distance as a function of time (t_1). For the sound waves: Express the distance they travel in terms of the speed of sound and time (t_2).

Now you can put it all together by using these facts:
    (1) The distance traveled is the same
    (2) t_1 + t_2 is given

Then you can solve for the times and then the distance. Just jump in and try it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook