1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freelyfalling bodies again

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a stone is dropped from rest into a hole. the speed of sound is 343 m/s in air. the sound of the stone striking bottom is heard 1.5s after the stone is dropped, how deep is the hole?

2. Relevant equations kinematics equations

3. The attempt at a solution

not a clue. I know that in 1.5 s it has to drop, hit bottom, and the sound of it travels at 343 m/s back up to vi.:yuck:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're on the right track, just express it mathematically.
    Total time = time for stone to fall X meters + time for sound to travel X meters.

(Then you can solve for X.)
  4. Jun 9, 2007 #3
    Ok, I understand what your saying, but how do I do this with so many missing variables? if 1.5s = dt + dt...but I dont have either d or t for the stone or sound. or can I somehow use: total T = 1/2 at2(squared) + something with speed of sound...Its just on the tip of my brain! or is my logic way off...
  5. Jun 10, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: The stone and the sound waves both travel the same distance. For the stone: Use falling body kinematics to express the distance as a function of time (t_1). For the sound waves: Express the distance they travel in terms of the speed of sound and time (t_2).

Now you can put it all together by using these facts:
    (1) The distance traveled is the same
    (2) t_1 + t_2 is given

Then you can solve for the times and then the distance. Just jump in and try it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?