1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freez Beer in 2 sec

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    Hello Frndz,

Yesterday I watched i video on You tube, The video shows a beer freezing in 2 sec. I was wondering if the video was fake or it is possible to do so. If it is true, can any one tell me whatz the logic behind this..???

Thanx

Max

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Try liquid nitrogen.

The larger the temperature difference between two mediums (like a beer can and the air around it), the faster the temperature of the hotter medium changes.

Liquid nitrogen would do the trick. If they don't use it... very very very cold air?

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    Char. Limit's right in that if you wanna cool anything faster, you just increase the temperature difference between the two objects (http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math100/notes/diffeqs/cool.html" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jan 28, 2010 #4
    what about Peltier effect.

6. Jan 28, 2010 #5
    see the link below

i don't think any external medium is used here....

The same thing happen with us few days back but with a soft drink....
    the waiter brought an bottle kept in freezer for 2-3 days, as he kept the bottle on the table bubbles started coming off its bottom and the liquid was frozen in seconds....:bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Jan 28, 2010 #6

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Freeze beer.....noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    don't do it!!!!!!!!

8. Jan 28, 2010 #7

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

It's because the freezing point of the liquid is dependent on its carbon dioxide content. By "knocking" the beer, CO2 is released, raising the freezing temperature above that of the liquid and causing the liquid to freeze. The trick should work with any liquid that releases bubbles when knocked, or shaken, such as soda.

Claude.

9. Jan 31, 2010 #8
    It has nothing to do with CO2 raising the freeze point of the liquid. Plain water will do the same thing. Check out many videos on the net showing water instantly freezing. Check out the explanations of why this happens.

10. Jan 31, 2010 #9

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I am quite sure you wouldn't be able to cool a "normal" beer held at room temperature to below freezing in a couple of second with LN2 (not that I have tried to cool a can, but I do use LN2 on a daily basis), cooling something as big and massive takes time and initially you would just be boiling off a lot of nitrogen (which creates gas, which "insulates" the can a bit etc; Newtons law of cooling is only approximately valid in situations like this).

So, the answer is that the beer in the can was already supercritical. You don't actually have to cool it any further in order to freeze it.

11. Jan 31, 2010 #10
    I think in this case it does have to do with the CO2.
    I also checked out a similar video about water and I think I heard somewhere that keeping a bottle of water in salted water, it keeps the water in the bottle from freezing. And then when knocked on the table, it must somehow change the structure of the water, freezing it.

Though that was completely theorizing. No facts found to back me up.

12. Feb 1, 2010 #11
    Liquid Nitrogen and CO2 are a bit dangerous for untrained people to handle.. hopefully there will come a time where they would have technology to freeze things instantly.. Similar to microwaves maybe.. could there be a frequency to stop water molecules from moving and thereby freezing the water..

13. Feb 1, 2010 #12
    De-ionized water works the best for these super cooled water demos with distilled water coming in second. Both of these versions of water purity have no salts or CO2 in them. You can verfy this at many web sites.

14. Feb 1, 2010 #13
    I believe there probably is a frequency that would stop water molecules from moving. If they stopped moving, instant ice. The most recent atomic clock uses lasers to cool a gas down to almost absolute zero. I suppose the lasers are tuned to the gas natural frequency and fed to it 180 degrees out of phase. I'm glad someone else thought of this, means I'm not the only one.

15. Feb 1, 2010 #14
    You dont have to guess about any of this. Use newton's law of heating and cooling and see if an absolute zero environment will freeze the beer in 2 seconds. Or find the highest temperature that can freeze a beer in 2 seconds, and then see what the possibilities are

16. Feb 1, 2010 #15
    you could also do the whole specific heat capacity thing, but you would need to know the latent heat of fusion of beer, or the reverse of fusion, i cant remember

17. Feb 2, 2010 #16
    No, I wasnt refering to the super-cooled water. I was refering to the water in which the bottle of the pure water was kept in.
    Just an idea though.

EDIT: Just read about the supercooling. Pretty amazing what you can do with pure water, indeed..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook