Understanding Freeze-Drying: IR Radiations, Sublimation & Phase Transitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of freeze-drying and the confusion around how ice can sublime at atmospheric pressure, as well as the existence of a specific temperature for water to undergo phase transition. The speaker also questions the purpose of using IR radiation and the creation of a vacuum in this process. The concept of vapor pressure is mentioned as a potential explanation for these phenomena.
Himanshu_6174
Well! the material to be freeze-dried is irradiated with IR radiations before, why??
Also I am confused as to how can ice sublime at atmospheric pressure?? Isn't the triple point of water much lower? is the vacuum around the material created for this reason? ( to lower the pressure I mean)

Also stupid it may sound, but why does the phase diagram of H20 show that at atmospheric pressure water will undergo phase transition at a perticular temperature ?? (100°C) when evaporation occurs all the time i.e at all temperatures!:confused:

thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Himanshu_6174 said:
Also I am confused as to how can ice sublime at atmospheric pressure?? Isn't the triple point of water much lower? is the vacuum around the material created for this reason? ( to lower the pressure I mean)

Also stupid it may sound, but why does the phase diagram of H20 show that at atmospheric pressure water will undergo phase transition at a perticular temperature ?? (100°C) when evaporation occurs all the time i.e at all temperatures!:confused:

thanks in advance! :smile:

You may wish to research the concept of vapor pressure.

In a closed (i.e., sealed, isolated) system, vapor pressure can be calculated (or looked up from a reference table) and is approximately a function of temperature alone (for a given liquid or solid [such as ice] also in the container).

But what happens in an open system, where the vapor pressure cannot be maintained because perhaps the atmosphere (if there even is an atmosphere) might wisk away the vapor molecules? What happens to remaining liquid (or solid, such as ice) if its container is not closed and thus cannot maintain its otherwise stable vapor pressure?

[As far as the IR irradiating is concerned, I think that's a separate issue.]

1. What is freeze-drying and how does it work?

Freeze-drying is a process of preserving food or other materials by removing all moisture from them through sublimation. Sublimation is the process of converting a solid directly into a gas without going through the liquid state. In freeze-drying, the material is first frozen and then placed in a vacuum chamber, where the pressure is lowered and heat is applied. This causes the frozen water in the material to turn into vapor and escape, leaving behind a dry, freeze-dried product.

2. What are IR radiations and how do they play a role in freeze-drying?

IR (infrared) radiations are a type of electromagnetic radiation with longer wavelengths than visible light. In freeze-drying, IR radiations are used to heat the frozen material, causing the water molecules to vibrate and turn into vapor. This process helps speed up sublimation and aids in the removal of moisture from the material.

3. What are the different phases involved in freeze-drying?

There are three main phases involved in freeze-drying: freezing, primary drying, and secondary drying. Freezing is the first phase where the material is frozen to a solid state. Primary drying is when the pressure is lowered and heat is applied to remove the frozen water through sublimation. Secondary drying is the final phase where any remaining water molecules are removed through desorption.

4. What are the benefits of freeze-drying over other preservation methods?

Freeze-drying has several advantages over other preservation methods. It allows for long-term storage without the need for refrigeration, preserves the nutritional value and flavor of the material, and results in a lightweight and easily transportable product. Freeze-dried products also have a longer shelf life compared to other preservation methods.

5. What type of materials can be freeze-dried?

A wide range of materials can be freeze-dried, including food, pharmaceuticals, biological specimens, and even art and historical artifacts. The process is particularly useful for heat-sensitive materials that may be damaged by other preservation methods. However, some materials, such as liquids or materials with a high fat content, may not be suitable for freeze-drying.