Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freezing ice cubes

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    i fill two ice trays, one covered and one not. The ice in the covered tray freezes the ice to the point that the ice is much more difficult to extract from the tray. Why is that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate, your desciption of the 'experimental procedure' is too vague.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    To restate: When I fill the two plastic trays with water, I place the two trays in my freezer.Then, I place a cover over one tray.
    the ice tray not covered is much easier to extract the ice from. Meaning, I simply turn the plastic ice tray over, twist it and all the cubes easily fall from the tray. Conversely, the tray that I placed a cover over requires more effort. In fact, after twisting the tray to the point of cracking the ice tray, I always have to run water on the top and bottom of the tray before the ice cubes will fall from the tray. Why is that?

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4

russ_watters

I've noticed that ice cubes left in the freezer too long will sublimate and in particular, you'll get a gap between the tray and cube. But cover the tray = no sublimation.

6. Jan 20, 2010 #5
    Thanks russ. One more point to my experiment: We're not talking long term freezing. Both trays were put in the same time, and within 2 days, both are removed. The above results continually proved that the tray covered required water from the faucet to separate the ice from the tray. While the ice cubes from the non-covered ice tray simply/freely fell from the tray with only one twist of the tray -no water from the faucet required.

7. Jan 20, 2010 #6

Borek

How long after trays are removed from the fridge? Can it be in any way connected with the fact that after removal the one covered was isolated from the air around and was colder when you remove the ice? Have you always covered the same tray, or have you done it at random? Have you always placed both trays in the same places in the fridge?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook