Can Earthworms Survive Months in Sub-Zero Temperatures?

• Thread starter Gaijin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freezing
In summary, DMSO is a common solvent used in biochemistry that can be used to freeze cells or tissues without significant toxicity. It is possible to find information on cryopreservation on the internet, but it is complicated and requires specialized knowledge. Some animals are able to survive freezing and others may have to be cryopreserved using more toxic methods. There is no one easy answer when it comes to cryopreservation.
Gaijin
im doing a science project on cryonics and preserving live tissues and simple live organisms. i am experimenting with finding ways to keep Earthworms alive for extended amounts of time(months even) in sub zero environments(-20°C or lower). it is a common fact that Earthworms can survive for a long time in cool environments for a month or two longer by slowing their metabolism, but I am am trying to see if i can induce a much more deep(colder and longer) hybernation. I am trying various biological antifreeze agents such as Glycol and some organic alcohols. Anyone have any suggestions, or links to relevant sites.

Also information on how live tissues are frozen, would be pertinent too, for that is another goal of the project. Post here with any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
DMSO is frequently used to freeze cells for later culturing. Unfortunately, it can be toxic to cells in high enough concentration.

A less toxic method you may want to try is to use glucose, which will lower the freezing point of the cytosol in the cells.

Animals that can survive freezing have novel methods of anti-nucleation and usually physiological means of compartmentalizing the frozen water (such as in a fat layer).

As quetzalcoatl9 has suggested, and you may have already done, there are numerous animals species that have adapted to survive extreme cold and even freezing. Some of the coldwater fish species, winter flounder or the notothenoid sp. are quite well studied in this respect. Also our local wood frog, Rana sylvatica, has been studied for its ability to tolerate body freezing.

k, thanks

what exactly is DMSO

and does anyone know what is most effective as a cyroprotectant, glycol or glyceren, or any other non toxic chemicals. like various sugars, glucose fructose, or alcohols..

has anyone done any studies or experimens here useing these or any other methods of live freezing or know of any links to sites where i could find them.

Gaijin said:
k, thanks

what exactly is DMSO

and does anyone know what is most effective as a cyroprotectant, glycol or glyceren, or any other non toxic chemicals. like various sugars, glucose fructose, or alcohols..

has anyone done any studies or experimens here useing these or any other methods of live freezing or know of any links to sites where i could find them.

DMSO= dimethyl sulfoxide, a common solvent used in biochemistry that is rather well tolerated by living tissues/cells. You can't use it straight-up, significant dilution (nothing more than 10% DMSO and that would be high) into some physiological medium is required.

Check out pubmed and use a search term like "cryopreservation". I did this and got almost 250 hits, not all look like they will relate to your questions, but you'll find things like this - Cryopreservation of a whole ovary as a strategy for restoring ovarian function. That should get you started, if you come across anything confusing, someone here can probably help.

The method you use is going to depend on what you are trying to freeze/preserve.
When I store cells frozen, I just mix them with 50% sterile glycerol, but to prevent brain tissue from being damaged, we have a more complex cryoprotectant that uses sucrose and ethylene glycol in buffer, but that's not live tissue, just tissue where we don't want freezing artifacts. If you look up literature on sperm cryopreservation (for artificial insemination), you'll see that different formulations are used for every species, and the differences are important for keeping the sperm alive. So, there's no easy answer on this.

1. How does freezing affect living tissue?

Freezing living tissue can cause damage to the cells due to the formation of ice crystals. These crystals can rupture cell membranes and disrupt the normal function of the tissue.

2. Is it possible to freeze all types of living tissue?

No, not all types of living tissue can be successfully frozen. Some tissues, such as brain tissue, are more sensitive to freezing and may not survive the process.

3. What methods are used to freeze living tissue?

The most common method used to freeze living tissue is cryopreservation, which involves slowly cooling the tissue to very low temperatures using liquid nitrogen or other cryoprotectants.

4. Can frozen tissue be thawed and used again?

Yes, in some cases frozen tissue can be thawed and used again. However, the success of this depends on the type of tissue and the freezing method used.

5. Are there any risks associated with freezing living tissue?

Yes, there are some risks associated with freezing living tissue, such as damage to the tissue or contamination during the freezing process. These risks can be minimized by using proper techniques and equipment.