Mysterious Freezing Patterns: What Causes Them?

In summary, the water condenses into crystals along the lines of the ice. The crystals grow faster near each other, and the dirt on the surface of the ice is evidence of where the crystals grew.
alexbib
The last few days have been very cold and when I come back to my car, water has condensated (to solid phase) in the windows. I have noted that the ice seems to form in lines that cross each other (forming seemingly random patterns made of almost perfectly straight lines) Of course there is some condensation all over the windows, but the ice in these lines is much concentrated. If you know what I'm talking about, do you have any idea how these ice lines are formed?

Thanks,

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember the chemistry term for it (seeding?), but the ice grows in crystals. It attaches easier to other ice than it does to the windshield. So when one crystal starts, the water vapor in the air will attach to it, making it grow.

yeah, I thought about that, but why does it not form spots of ice rather than lines? Why is it easier to condensate on the axis of the line than in a random direction next to it?

come on guys, I'd really like to know...

I don't really understand it. I actually found this thread search for an answer.

I'll share what little I know.

I think that actually there might be a lot a freezing pattern can tell us.

I know there's a patent on using freezing to remove nuclear waste from water. I can't remember what the pollutant name was though... it ended in `ium` and started with a D I think. Duerturanium isn't it... hmm...
basically some ice freezes quicker than others.

... anyway, I have been playing with freezing water and tasting the results. It certainly makes a difference. I noticed by looking in the bottle there is dirt on the surface of the ice.

I'm sure there is a word for the study of freezing water (what's the word for liquid to solid state change?). If we can find the patent I'm looking for there will be words in there that we can use to help us search for more info.

In the mean-time, here's this;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15247390
and this:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/327/5966/672.abstract

edit:: sorry, totally bumped this old thread!

What are mysterious freezing patterns?

Mysterious freezing patterns refer to unusual or unexpected formations of ice or frost that appear on surfaces, often with no apparent cause or explanation.

What causes mysterious freezing patterns?

The exact cause of mysterious freezing patterns is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of factors such as temperature, humidity, and air flow. Other possible explanations include chemical reactions, electric fields, and even paranormal activity.

Where do mysterious freezing patterns commonly occur?

Mysterious freezing patterns can occur anywhere that there is moisture and a surface for the ice to form on. This can include windows, cars, plants, and even objects inside buildings.

Can mysterious freezing patterns be harmful?

In general, mysterious freezing patterns are not harmful. However, they can sometimes indicate underlying issues with a building's insulation or ventilation, which can lead to bigger problems such as mold or structural damage.

How can we prevent or get rid of mysterious freezing patterns?

The best way to prevent mysterious freezing patterns is to control the temperature and humidity in your environment. This can be done through proper insulation, ventilation, and use of dehumidifiers. If already present, mysterious freezing patterns can be removed by gently melting the ice with warm water or using a scraper.