1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freezing point estimation

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1
    ethanol 46g/mol freezes at 3.65degC density changes from 0.789g/cm-3 to 0.801g/cm-3 latent hear of fusion 8.68kJ/mol. freezing point at 1000 atm.

i calculated the ansfer from an example and just want to verify if its correct.

dp/dt=(dfusH)/(t*dfusV) rearanged to dt=(dp*t*dfusV)/dfusH
    where dfusV: change in molar volume on melting

okay, with the rearanged equation i changed 1000 atm to pascals = 101325 kPa dfusV was calculated to be 4.875399e-6 m3/mol
    i came to a change in temperature of 15.54deg hence final freezing point is 11.8956degC.

could anyone plese help me and tell me if this is correct
    also.. in teh equation t=273.15K was used.. could anyone please tell me why this was the case?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2005 #2
    I don't know the freezing point, but you can probably find a table that gives you that data so you can check your answers.

Also, you use t = 273.15 Kelvins because that is, in basic terms, the accepted unit of temperature in chemistry/physics, etc. You will use Kelvins in the gas laws, thermochemistry and thermophysics, and pretty much everything else.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?