1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freezing rate for water in supercooled ice

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Bit of an odd one here, perhaps, but I'm hoping to get some back-of-the-envelope concept of how quickly a water channel that was melted into a block of -170 degree water ice would re-freeze. It's similar to trying to determine what would happen if I went ice-fishing on a comet in deep space -- would a 3' wide hole freeze back solid in just a few minutes, or would it take much longer? And if the hole / tunnel is increased to 6' wide, does it take four times as long? I realize much depends on the amount of water surface area in contact with the super-cooled ice -- which depends on the diameter of the tunnel -- but this is countered by the heat retention of the column of liquid ice, which is greater when the volume (and diameter) are greater. Trying to get even an order-of-magnitude estimate but my skills are failing me. Any help is immensely appreciated!

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted