Plant Freezing at -20C: No Power & 5700 GPM

In summary, the conversation discusses the freezing of water at a temperature of -20C and the potential damage to pipes due to a generator malfunction. The speaker advises draining any pipes that have not yet frozen and leaving all faucets open. They also mention the complexity of determining how quickly water will freeze and the importance of considering various factors.
Jay cameron
How fast will water freeze when the outside temp has been -17C for 3 days and my generator blows up so now I don't have power to any pumps and the temp has dipped to -20C
My plant pumps 5700 GPM

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 437
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you had asked that question before your pipes cracked, I would have said you need to drain the water from your pipes immediately.
As it is, drain any that have yet to freeze - and leave all faucets open.

Jay cameron said:
How fast will water freeze when the outside temp has been -17C for 3 days and my generator blows up so now I don't have power to any pumps and the temp has dipped to -20C
My plant pumps 5700 GPM
5700 GPM seems rather a lot. I take it this isn't for your home.

How quickly water will freeze at X temperature is not an easy question to answer. You need to know the temperature of the water inside the pipe, what kind of pipe, is it insulated, how is the piping arranged, what sort of environmental conditions there are (besides the temperature), the whole schmeer.

SteamKing said:
How quickly water will freeze at X temperature is not an easy question to answer. You need to know the temperature of the water inside the pipe, what kind of pipe, is it insulated, how is the piping arranged, what sort of environmental conditions there are (besides the temperature), the whole schmeer.

And even then it is often much easier to measure than to calculate :wink:

1. How does freezing at -20C affect plants?

Freezing at -20C can cause significant damage to plants, as the extreme cold can cause the plant cells to rupture and die. This can result in wilting, discoloration, and even death of the plant.

2. What happens to plants when there is no power during freezing temperatures?

When there is no power during freezing temperatures, plants are at a higher risk of damage due to the lack of heat and light. This can make the plants more vulnerable to freezing and can also cause them to die due to lack of essential nutrients and water.

3. How does water flow at 5700 GPM affect plant freezing at -20C?

Water flowing at 5700 GPM can actually help prevent plant freezing at -20C. This is because the movement of water can create heat and prevent the temperature from dropping low enough to cause damage to the plants. However, if the water is too cold, it can still cause freezing and damage to the plants.

4. Can plants survive being frozen at -20C with no power and 5700 GPM?

It is unlikely that plants will survive being frozen at -20C with no power and 5700 GPM. While the water flow can help prevent freezing, the lack of power and extreme cold temperatures can still cause significant damage to the plants.

5. How can I protect my plants from freezing at -20C without power and with 5700 GPM?

The best way to protect plants from freezing at -20C without power and with 5700 GPM is to insulate them and provide some source of heat. This could include covering them with blankets or using a heat source such as a generator or candles. It is also important to ensure that the water flow is not too cold, as this can still cause damage to the plants.