Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freezing with magnetic fields

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    this is just a naive question from a person who is not a physican,

imagine that charged particles ( ions ) could only move in a plane. if a homogeneous magnetic field perpendicular is imposed what would happen ? i think that the particles must come to rest since they emitt electromagnetic radiation (since they are accelerated in circular paths when the magnetic field is present). so the particles can be frozen with a magnetic field. is my conclusion right.

if a (homogeneous) magneic filed would be imposed on a cloud of charged particles inside a cube i think this particles must also come to rest (freeze) since statistically there would be always movements that are not parallel to the magnetic field lines of the imposed field.

if generic particles are not absolutely electric neutral wouldn't there be a possibility to "freeze" things with magnetic fields ?

best wishes,

lost_in_space

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted