Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

French Hostages

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1

GENIERE

Science Advisor

How will the French handle their hostage situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2004 #2
    Dunno, but I have heard that it is wise to never bet against anyone fighting the French.

4. Aug 31, 2004 #3
    Or you could read some history...

5. Aug 31, 2004 #4
    Fortunately for you, this is not true.
    Otherwise, you'd still be enjoying the privilege of being a over-taxed British colonial.

6. Aug 31, 2004 #5
    Remember the episode of The Simpsons when they visited Australia? :D

7. Aug 31, 2004 #6

Gza

Freedom fries never really caught on, did they? :approve:

8. Aug 31, 2004 #7
    Look up the term "Vichy France" in the dictionary.

9. Aug 31, 2004 #8
    :mad:

I've had it with your childish country-bashing. This was supposed to be a thread about two HUMAN BEINGS trying to do their job being kidnapped.
    Yet for some reason you insist on picking on an instance 60 years ago, that you had nothing to do with.
    Ever been to France? Spent some time with French people?
    What have they done to you that you hold such a grudge?

10. Aug 31, 2004 #9
    And I hope the French captives are released.

11. Sep 1, 2004 #10

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Apparenly the French still sport gonads as part of their anatomy. Hopefully the reporters will be returned unharned.

John McCain: "And, as we've been a good friend to other countries in moments of shared perils, so we have good reason to expect their solidarity with us in this struggle."

The US is at war! Can you understand this? We are at war! You are a friend, an enemy, or not worth consideration. Are you friend, a foe, or a pesty gnat?

12. Sep 1, 2004 #11

Gza

:eek: Now i'm just appalled. Are you still bitter over the French having enough sense to not want to be involved in something as blatantly wrong as the invasion of Iraq? If a friend tries to stop you from driving drunk, do you verbally abuse them, and hate them for their sober perspective? I was shocked by the hatred people in the American media, as well as in people such as yourself at the French during the beginning of the war. Don't be angry at people with common sense, it just makes you look devoid of it.

13. Sep 1, 2004 #12

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Bitter? No! Simply not worth considering, small change, irrelevant…

14. Sep 1, 2004 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The difference between Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom was partly due to the lack of small change...

Perhaps Bush should fire the State Dept. and hire you instead ?

15. Sep 1, 2004 #14
    I am french. Thank you Gza. I would like to add that it is not easy for us either to keep in this attitude. We do feel guilty for not helping a friend at war. Usually, once the decision has been taken, everybody goes to war, even the ones that were against war before the begining. In the present case, not only did we think there were alternative solutions, we also think the situation has/will become impossible to handle. But today, I feel like Switzerland people : we are on the side of the field. We are not part of the "game" (sorry, just dunno a better word for this thought) ... feel useless. :frown:

16. Sep 1, 2004 #15
    I'd rather be completely out of this game, than in a country which supports Bush's war for profit. And yes, I am about to get moving.

17. Sep 1, 2004 #16

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Well-stated Humanino. You, as an individual, have earned my respect but I believe your government's policies are an obstacle to peace. Had the French joined the coalition I believe the war in Iraq would not have been necessary.

18. Sep 1, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A flip-flop ?

<all in jest ! :biggrin:>

19. Sep 1, 2004 #18

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Please don't count my flip-flops; I have no defense.

20. Sep 1, 2004 #19
    Wasn't the whole point of the "coalition of the willing" to get people on-side for the US invasion?

21. Sep 2, 2004 #20
    Nice to see some truth! wish my country had, had the b!!!! to say no!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?