Learn French: Pronunciation & Translations

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the French class is going well and the best time to start is when you're busiest. Humanino says that the best way to learn pronunciation is to find an online source like thefreedictionary.com. There is a website that Humanino recommends called translation2.paralink.com. There is also a website that Bob recommends called welikethis.com. Finally, Bob says that when it comes to French, all Americans are Texans.
Lisa!
Gold Member
So I've finally started going to a French class! I think that'd be the best time for doing that since I need to keep myself very busy to be able to put up with the new situation and eventually get it over.
Now I was wondering if you'd know of any online source where I'd be able to hear the pronuncietion of the words and have the translation of the words into English. I mean something like thefreedictionary site. You know I googled for it but haven't got any useful website.:blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
How about getting a french boyfriend ? :tongue2:

I think humanino was offering Lisa! :tongue:

Lisa! said:
pronuncietion
In my opinion you've got French down pretty good already.

What the hell? How that happened? I swear I know the right spelling of that word.:bugeye:

Kurdt said:
I think humanino was offering Lisa! :tongue:

He's taken as far as I know!:biggrin:

We like this translation site in our family:

http://translation2.paralink.com/

You can get to animations of people speaking. Our boys (9&15) especially like it when we get the person to say something about excusing himself/herself for farting. Hey... anything to get them interested in furthering their education. :wink:

Lisa! said:
whut da Hell? Hou tat hapent? I swer I noh de rite spalin off tat wurd.:bugeye:

I think you should work on English first.

Lisa! said:
Now I was wondering if you'd know of any online source where I'd be able to hear the pronuncietion of the words and have the translation of the words into English. I mean something like thefreedictionary site. You know I googled for it but haven't got any useful website.:blushing:

You don't need any of that stuff if you're learning American French.

Just remember, Buffalo is French for beautiful river (in fact, that's how the city got its name). I know, because some of my ancestors were French - their last name is Buzard.

When it comes to French, all Americans are Texans.

Lisa! said:
He's taken as far as I know!:biggrin:
Ah, I forgot you knew :cry:
BobG said:
Just remember, Buffalo is French for beautiful river
Is that true !? My dictionary says Buffalo comes from Portuguese, which comes from Latin (or maybe Greek) etymology. "Beautiful river" gives "belle riviere" in french. It's not impossible, "water" giving "eau" (pronounce "oh !"), but it's a long shot. Are you sure ?

humanino said:
How about getting a french boyfriend ? :tongue2:
Humanino, The Evo Child switched to French and she's taken Spanish for so many years that she is confusing the two. I wish you were nearby to help her. You are so good at teaching, so patient. She has a boyfriend, so your girlfriend shouldn't mind.

Evo said:
Humanino, The Evo Child switched to French and she's taken Spanish for so many years that she is confusing the two. I wish you were nearby to help her. You are so good at teaching, so patient. She has a boyfriend, so your girlfriend shouldn't mind.
Is this an invitation !? :biggrin:
I might become jobless sometimes soon. I can also work on the garden :uhh:

humanino said:
Is this an invitation !? :biggrin:
I might become jobless sometimes soon. I can also work on the garden :uhh:
Definitely an invitation! And now I know you can cook! :tongue2:

BobG said:
When it comes to Texas, all other Americans might as well be French. :rofl: :biggrin:

buffalo
1588, from Port. bufalo "water buffalo," from L. bufalus, var. of bubalus "wild ox," from Gk. boubalos "buffalo," originally a kind of African antelope, later used of a type of domesticated ox in southern Asia and the Mediterranean lands, from bous "ox, cow." Wrongly applied since c.1635 to the American bison.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=buffalo

Buffalo sounds a little like "Boeuf à l'eau". :uhh:

humanino said:
Is that true !? My dictionary says Buffalo comes from Portuguese, which comes from Latin (or maybe Greek) etymology. "Beautiful river" gives "belle riviere" in french. It's not impossible, "water" giving "eau" (pronounce "oh !"), but it's a long shot. Are you sure ?

Beau fleuve

I don't know why you guys are looking up the origin of buffalo, as in bison. The city Buffalo has nothing to do with the animal.

BobG said:
Beau fleuve

I don't know why you guys are looking up the origin of buffalo, as in bison. The city Buffalo has nothing to do with the animal.
Thanks BobG :approve:

BobG said:
You don't need any of that stuff if you're learning American French.

Just remember, Buffalo is French for beautiful river (in fact, that's how the city got its name). I know, because some of my ancestors were French - their last name is Buzard.

I wish you had told me that sooner!:biggrin:

[

humanino said:
?
Women have a list of single men!o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The origin of the name Buffalo appears to be a mystery. The city got its name from Buffalo Creek, but the origin of Buffalo is not clear, although it was apparently in use by 1764.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_River_(New_York)#Origin_of_the_name

It could be a deliberate attempt by the British to undermine the French language back in the days when they competed over Canada. :biggrin:

The English established fishing outposts in Newfoundland around 1610 and colonized the Thirteen Colonies to the south. A series of four Intercolonial Wars erupted between 1689 and 1763. Mainland Nova Scotia came under British rule with the Treaty of Utrecht (1713); the Treaty of Paris (1763) ceded Canada and most of New France to Britain following the Seven Years' War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada#History

I know the name of my little town of Mt. Holly is from the French 'comment t'allez vous'.

1. How important is pronunciation in learning French?

Pronunciation is a crucial aspect of learning any language, including French. In order to communicate effectively with native speakers, it is important to have accurate pronunciation. It also helps with understanding spoken French and building a strong foundation for further language learning.

2. What are some common pronunciation mistakes made by English speakers learning French?

Some common pronunciation mistakes made by English speakers learning French include not pronouncing the silent letters, such as the final "s" in words like "plus" and "vous," not distinguishing between nasal sounds like "an" and "en," and not using the proper intonation for questions and statements.

3. How can I improve my French pronunciation?

One of the best ways to improve your French pronunciation is by listening to and imitating native speakers. You can also practice with a language partner or tutor, use online resources and apps, and record yourself speaking to identify areas for improvement.

4. Are there any tips for remembering the correct pronunciation of French words?

One helpful tip is to familiarize yourself with the French alphabet and its sounds, as well as common pronunciation patterns. It can also be useful to break down words into smaller syllables and practice them individually. Additionally, listening to audio recordings and repeating them can aid in remembering correct pronunciation.

5. How important is learning French pronunciation for understanding spoken French?

Learning French pronunciation is crucial for understanding spoken French. If you are unable to pronounce words correctly, it can be difficult to understand them when spoken by native speakers. Proper pronunciation also helps with the flow and rhythm of the language, making it easier to comprehend spoken French.