French learning?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
Lisa!
Gold Member
So I've finally started going to a French class! I think that'd be the best time for doing that since I need to keep myself very busy to be able to put up with the new situation and eventually get it over.
Now I was wondering if you'd know of any online source where I'd be able to hear the pronuncietion of the words and have the translation of the words into English. I mean something like thefreedictionary site. You know I googled for it but haven't got any useful website.:blushing:

Answers and Replies

How about getting a french boyfriend ? :tongue2:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think humanino was offering Lisa! :tongue:

pronuncietion
In my opinion you've got French down pretty good already.

Lisa!
Gold Member
What the hell? How that happened? I swear I know the right spelling of that word.:bugeye:

I think humanino was offering Lisa! :tongue:
He's taken as far as I know!:biggrin:

We like this translation site in our family:

http://translation2.paralink.com/

You can get to animations of people speaking. Our boys (9&15) especially like it when we get the person to say something about excusing himself/herself for farting. Hey... anything to get them interested in furthering their education. :wink:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
whut da Hell? Hou tat hapent? I swer I noh de rite spalin off tat wurd.:bugeye:
I think you should work on English first.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now I was wondering if you'd know of any online source where I'd be able to hear the pronuncietion of the words and have the translation of the words into English. I mean something like thefreedictionary site. You know I googled for it but haven't got any useful website.:blushing:
You don't need any of that stuff if you're learning American French.

Just remember, Buffalo is French for beautiful river (in fact, that's how the city got its name). I know, because some of my ancestors were French - their last name is Buzard.

When it comes to French, all Americans are Texans.

He's taken as far as I know!:biggrin:
Ah, I forgot you knew :cry:
Just remember, Buffalo is French for beautiful river
Is that true !? My dictionary says Buffalo comes from Portuguese, which comes from Latin (or maybe Greek) etymology. "Beautiful river" gives "belle riviere" in french. It's not impossible, "water" giving "eau" (pronounce "oh !"), but it's a long shot. Are you sure ?

Evo
Mentor
How about getting a french boyfriend ? :tongue2:
Humanino, The Evo Child switched to French and she's taken Spanish for so many years that she is confusing the two. I wish you were nearby to help her. You are so good at teaching, so patient. She has a boyfriend, so your girlfriend shouldn't mind.

Humanino, The Evo Child switched to French and she's taken Spanish for so many years that she is confusing the two. I wish you were nearby to help her. You are so good at teaching, so patient. She has a boyfriend, so your girlfriend shouldn't mind.
Is this an invitation !? :biggrin:
I might become jobless sometimes soon. I can also work on the garden :uhh:

Evo
Mentor
Is this an invitation !? :biggrin:
I might become jobless sometimes soon. I can also work on the garden :uhh:
Definitely an invitation!! And now I know you can cook! :tongue2:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
When it comes to Texas, all other Americans might as well be French. :rofl: :biggrin:

buffalo
1588, from Port. bufalo "water buffalo," from L. bufalus, var. of bubalus "wild ox," from Gk. boubalos "buffalo," originally a kind of African antelope, later used of a type of domesticated ox in southern Asia and the Mediterranean lands, from bous "ox, cow." Wrongly applied since c.1635 to the American bison.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=buffalo

Buffalo sounds a little like "Boeuf à l'eau". :uhh:

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is that true !? My dictionary says Buffalo comes from Portuguese, which comes from Latin (or maybe Greek) etymology. "Beautiful river" gives "belle riviere" in french. It's not impossible, "water" giving "eau" (pronounce "oh !"), but it's a long shot. Are you sure ?
Beau fleuve

I don't know why you guys are looking up the origin of buffalo, as in bison. The city Buffalo has nothing to do with the animal.

Beau fleuve

I don't know why you guys are looking up the origin of buffalo, as in bison. The city Buffalo has nothing to do with the animal.
Thanks BobG :approve:

Lisa!
Gold Member
You don't need any of that stuff if you're learning American French.

Just remember, Buffalo is French for beautiful river (in fact, that's how the city got its name). I know, because some of my ancestors were French - their last name is Buzard.

I wish you had told me that sooner!:biggrin:

[

Lisa!
Gold Member
?
Women have a list of single men!o:)

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The origin of the name Buffalo appears to be a mystery. The city got its name from Buffalo Creek, but the origin of Buffalo is not clear, although it was apparently in use by 1764.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_River_(New_York)#Origin_of_the_name

It could be a deliberate attempt by the British to undermine the French language back in the days when they competed over Canada. :biggrin:

The English established fishing outposts in Newfoundland around 1610 and colonized the Thirteen Colonies to the south. A series of four Intercolonial Wars erupted between 1689 and 1763. Mainland Nova Scotia came under British rule with the Treaty of Utrecht (1713); the Treaty of Paris (1763) ceded Canada and most of New France to Britain following the Seven Years' War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada#History

I know the name of my little town of Mt. Holly is from the French 'comment t'allez vous'.