Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

French translation

1. Jan 12, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know there are many people on Pf who speak french, so I take the chance.

What is the french translation (used in the mathematical literature) of "embedded"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The vb is "immerger" (means to "submerse"). Its past participle is "immerge/(e)" with an accent on the first "e". The "/" accent (don't know how to name it in English). The last "e" is put in brackets because in French the past participle has adjective value and therefore borrows the gender from the substantiv. It's without the "e" for a masculine/neutral singular and with an "e" for feminine singular. If it's plural, an extra "s" is added to the 2 forms possible, regardless the gender.

Daniel.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  4. Jan 12, 2007 #3
    Just to note you would only add an extra "e" or "s" if you were to use it as an adjective, you would not, however, add any extra letters if you were to congugate it as a verb in the past tense.

5. Jan 12, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Daniel, "immerger" seems like a reasonable translation, but it surprises me because I read that for N, M two manifolds and an immersion P:N-->M (a map having certain properties), P(N) is said to be an immersed submanifold of M and P(N) is said to be embedded in M if P is a homeom. of N into its image.

So immersed and embedded seem to have slightly different meaning. What is the translation of "immersed" then?

6. Jan 12, 2007 #5
    Google Translate says embedded = incorporé and immersed = immergé. But I'm not a native speaker so I don't know which verbs to use. For reference, the "/" accent (points up and to the right), as Daniel used it, is called the acute accent, or "l'accent aigü."

7. Jan 12, 2007 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, i know that, it's just that i was sure that he wanted the translation of the adjective.

Daniel.

8. Jan 12, 2007 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While we're at it, what's the translation of "one-form" ?

9. Jan 13, 2007 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is "wedge" as in "wedge product" ?

10. Jan 13, 2007 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

produit exterieure? or produit alternee?

11. Jan 13, 2007 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

as for embed, what about plonger? that seems more common to me; i am not too knowledgeable in french, but i think i have never seen immerger used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?