French translation

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I know there are many people on Pf who speak french, so I take the chance.

What is the french translation (used in the mathematical literature) of "embedded"?

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The vb is "immerger" (means to "submerse"). Its past participle is "immerge/(e)" with an accent on the first "e". The "/" accent (don't know how to name it in English). The last "e" is put in brackets because in French the past participle has adjective value and therefore borrows the gender from the substantiv. It's without the "e" for a masculine/neutral singular and with an "e" for feminine singular. If it's plural, an extra "s" is added to the 2 forms possible, regardless the gender.

Daniel.

Last edited:
The vb is "immerger" (means to "submerse"). Its past participle is "immerge/(e)" with an accent on the first "e". The "/" accent (don't know how to name it in English). The last "e" is put in brackets because in French the past participle has adjective value and therefore borrows the gender from the substantiv. It's without the "e" for a masculine/neutral singular and with an "e" for feminine singular. If it's plural, an extra "s" is added to the 2 forms possible, regardless the gender.

Daniel.
Just to note you would only add an extra "e" or "s" if you were to use it as an adjective, you would not, however, add any extra letters if you were to congugate it as a verb in the past tense.

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Daniel, "immerger" seems like a reasonable translation, but it surprises me because I read that for N, M two manifolds and an immersion P:N-->M (a map having certain properties), P(N) is said to be an immersed submanifold of M and P(N) is said to be embedded in M if P is a homeom. of N into its image.

So immersed and embedded seem to have slightly different meaning. What is the translation of "immersed" then?

Google Translate says embedded = incorporé and immersed = immergé. But I'm not a native speaker so I don't know which verbs to use. For reference, the "/" accent (points up and to the right), as Daniel used it, is called the acute accent, or "l'accent aigü."

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Just to note you would only add an extra "e" or "s" if you were to use it as an adjective, you would not, however, add any extra letters if you were to congugate it as a verb in the past tense.
Yes, i know that, it's just that i was sure that he wanted the translation of the adjective.

Daniel.

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
While we're at it, what's the translation of "one-form" ?

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What is "wedge" as in "wedge product" ?

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
produit exterieure? or produit alternee?

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
as for embed, what about plonger? that seems more common to me; i am not too knowledgeable in french, but i think i have never seen immerger used.