Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frenchmen Have the Spines of Escargot?

1. Apr 5, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] Frenchmen Have the Spines of Escargot?

Okay, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I do not support the war. I would like to say that initially I understood France's objection to joining forces with the United States in battle against Iraq.

Just the other day the US stated that $80 billion will be given to Iraq for post-war reconstruction. There is one stipulation. None of this money can go to French, German, Russian or Syrian based-companies. Immediately following this announcement, a French foreign minister publically expressed concern about this decision. He pretty much stated that it would not be fair to the French economy to exclude their companies from cashing in.

In conclusion, the French government may not be willing to wage war, but it has no problem with profitting from it.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2003 #2

kat

Ah..contraire! I must disagree! When France's economic interests were involved, France invaded Africa (even without bothering to get security council authorization), France had no difficulty with war even when it meant entering the conflict on the side of those committing genocide (like when it invaded Rwanda in 1994 on the side of the Hutus) Or when France decided it did not want to bear the issue of Muslim refugees knocking at its doors, it supported a United States invasion of Yugoslavia (again, without insisting on getting a security council authorization.)

In conclusion, the French government may not be willing to support a war it has no economical benefit from but the French government is certianly willing to wage war, when it will be profiting from it.

4. Apr 5, 2003 #3
    Name-calling on the French is going to have to be a no-no, ok? I'm sure we have or will have French people joining us at some point.

5. Apr 5, 2003 #4
    Is there a country that isn't? Look at what the discussion is about: The American government divying up the profits to it's favorite companies. Maybe that's why the U.S. didn't want U.N. involvement?

6. Apr 5, 2003 #5

kat

I don't believe the discussion was about the U.S., but about France. Why can't you focus on another country for a bit Mr. Zero?

Also, I don't see anyone calling the French any names?..I am 1/2 French...my mother 100% from a long line of....and honestly my mothers family tells some great french jokes..irrelevent of that..I think I have a right to be as blunt about the French government as you are about the American and Israeli governments. I'd like to verbally bonk you with a long line of abusive epithets because you seem to be blind to your own statements..but I won't cause in the end..I still think your OK!..ok?

7. Apr 6, 2003 #6
    No, calling Frenchmen spineless isn't an insult, whatever was I thinking?!?

The focus is whether or not economics plays a role in participation in war, isn't it? That the French supposedly want profits that I suppose America has 'earned' by invading Iraq?

8. Apr 6, 2003 #7

drag

Science Advisor

Re: Thread about France

I think they've had enough Iraqy money already...:wink:

9. Apr 6, 2003 #8

kat

Zero-He wasn't calling he was asking..and it's no worse then comments you've made about israeli's and often americans.

I think this was the summation of the topic "In conclusion, the French government may not be willing to wage war, but it has no problem with profitting from it." which as I pointed out is erroneous. France has had no problem fighting when it benefits France. Do you deny this? have input on it where it concerns France? or do you only desire to continue to point out the flaws of the U.S. and Israel?

10. Apr 6, 2003 #9
    Again, we are reminded of the fundamental unity of mankind: French politicians are hypocritical and self-interested, just like American politicians. :frown:

11. Apr 6, 2003 #10
    Gastropodic spine??

Cheeese, and here I was thinking that my spine was made of Bone, just like everyone else's.

What could I have been thinking???, "spine like Escargot", probably why the people in the 'Cirque Du Soleil' are so supple, adept, capable, able, physically inclined to gymnastics, etc. etc.!!

Now if only I could figure out how to use 'spinelessness' to generate sarcasm's, then I would have it made!

(Yup, Sarc!)

12. Apr 6, 2003 #11
    The focus is what you focus on. You choose to focus on the title which was meant to catch your attention... and I see it worked. Others, like Kat, have chosen to focus on the politics that shape our world.

Anyway, I'm not saying that America has earned anything. I'm not even criticizing French people. I'm simply criticizing French politicians, particularly Dominique de Villepin, for suddenly having a great deal of concern with being able to help Iraq after the war is over.

If you read the New York Times article, you'll see that all these statements led up to him saying that it's not fair that France won't have the opportunity to profit from this war which they are ever so opposed to.

REF.: New York Times. April 4, 2003.

For those of you who don't trust just one news source, read the same story from BBC News.

REF.: BBC News. April 4, 2003.

Errata: I originally wrote $90 bn, but I see now that the number is actually $80 bn. However, considering that the US just wrote off a $1 bn of debt from Pakistan, it's possible that $10 bn is withing the error bar of US war spending.

REF.: BBC News. April 4, 2003.

eNtRopY

13. Apr 6, 2003 #12
    Hmm...last I remember, France would have supported a war on a longer timetable, with a 60 day extension on inspections.

14. Apr 6, 2003 #13

kat

I would have been surprised to see France support this war at any point but the last I remember was France stating they would veto any resolution that was put forth.

15. Apr 6, 2003 #14
    .......to go to war, when, inspections had not been completely done, could still have been done, could have saved, as we all clearly now know, American and Iraqi lives, and was the agreement that everyone had agreed to!

16. Apr 6, 2003 #15

kat

No..I'm fairly sure France stated that they would veto any resolution that might open the way to war whether Iraq cooperated with inspections or not. This evasion of consequences that France has continued to support for Saddam was not the agreement that everyone agreed to as far as I'm concerned.

But, I think we veer off topic. France invaded Rwanda in 1994, on the side of the Hutus. When Britain and the US asked the UN to impose sanctions on the warlord dictator Charles Taylor in Liberia, France fought the prroposal and forced a weakening of the original intent in the final Security Council resolutions. France supported Laurent Kabila after he removed his pro-Tutsi Rwandan and Ugandan advisors. It supported Mobutu in Zaire, turning against him only when he attempted to improve his relations with the US. France invaded the Ivory Coast this year, without asking the UN for approval, because Ivoran rebels were threatening Abidjan and San Pedro where 20,000 French settlers live, and the rebels would have kicked them out. France supported the U.S. invasion of Yugoslavia without UN approval, because it did not want to have to accomodate the mostly Muslim refugees from the Yugoslav civil war that were starting to knock on France's door.
    France is not at all spineless when it comes to it's own economic interest.

17. Apr 6, 2003 #16
    i think you mean Chirac said he would not support any "preemptive action." as for France doing any of that before, i know Napoleon did way back in the day. but as for "France invaded Rwanda in 1994", are you just making that up?

18. Apr 6, 2003 #17
    Hmmmm...the French supported inspections, and the promised to veto anything that didn't offer at least a short-term continuation of inspections. That is not the same as what some people are posting here. Then again, if you get your news from Fox, you believe that the French are actively supporting Iraq

19. Apr 6, 2003 #18

drag

Science Advisor

Greetings !
    It's funny you should say that. Those biased
    news you appear to dislike so much recently
    showed french missiles found in an Iraqi warehouse.
    Those missiles are new and high level which means that
    Iraq got them from France in the past few years IN
    DIRECT VIOLATION of the restrictions imposed
    by the UN. Sure France would say the UN resolution
    is violated and calls for action - in say a million
    years or so...:wink:

Live long and prosper.

20. Apr 6, 2003 #19

FZ+

Where? I didn't see that. Care to reveal your sources s'il vous plait?

21. Apr 6, 2003 #20

drag

Science Advisor

Watch the news mon ami, you'll see it.
    Don't be surprised - ce la vi...:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?