Understanding the Relationship Between MHz and kHz on Shortwave Radios

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, when converting between kHz and Hz, the decimal point moves 3 digits to the right, while converting between MHz and kHz means moving the decimal point 3 digits to the left. It is important to keep track of decimal places in order to accurately convert between these units.
biferi
I have a Shortwave Radio that tunes in on Kilo Herts.

So my display says
1015 kHz

Now if I want to write this out I would write
101,500,000 Hz

Now if I am on a Radio that tunes in on MHz and the display says
101.5 MHz

101,500,000 Hz

Now this is what I do not understand they are both the same FREQ but I do not get how you tune them in on MHz and kHz?

I know MHz meens it will tune in at 1,000,000 Hz and if you tune in at Kilo Hz it will be 1,000 Hz

I hope I am asking in the right way if not please tell me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
biferi said:
I have a Shortwave Radio that tunes in on Kilo Herts.

So my display says
1015 kHz

101,500,000 Hz
I'd write 1015 kHz as 1,015,000 Hz

biferi said:
So my display says
1015 kHz

101,500,000 Hz

You're losing track of decimal places, the 'k' in kHz moves the decimal point 3 digits to the right of a number to go to just Hz. Therefore 1015. kHz = 1015000. Hz = 1,015,000 Hz.

Likewise, converting to MHz from kHz is as simple as moving the decimal point 3 digits to the left, so 1015. kHz = 1.015 MHz.

Ok so if I see a readout of
1015. kHz
I would say
1015,000. Hz

And if I see a readout of
1.015 MHz
I would say
1,015,000,000 Hz

Do I have it?

Not exactly... MHz is 10^6, so 1.015 MHz is 1,015,000 Hz. You might be just better off quoting all the frequencies as MHz or kHz though.

What is shortwave radio frequency?

Shortwave radio frequency refers to the range of radio frequencies between 1.6 MHz and 30 MHz. These frequencies are used for long-distance communication and can travel long distances by reflecting off the Earth's ionosphere.

Why is shortwave radio useful?

Shortwave radio is useful because it can reach long distances without the use of satellites or other forms of communication. It is also less susceptible to interference and can be used in remote areas where other forms of communication may not be available.

How do I find shortwave radio frequencies?

There are many resources available online that provide lists of shortwave radio frequencies for different regions and countries. You can also use a shortwave radio receiver to scan for frequencies and tune in to different stations.

What equipment do I need for shortwave radio?

To listen to shortwave radio, you will need a shortwave radio receiver. This can be a standalone device or a feature on a multi-band radio. You may also need an external antenna to improve reception, depending on your location and the strength of the signal.

What types of broadcasts can I listen to on shortwave radio?

You can listen to a variety of broadcasts on shortwave radio, including news, music, sports, and religious programs. You may also be able to pick up amateur radio transmissions, weather reports, and international broadcasts from different countries.