Is it possible for a string to vibrate at multiple frequencies at once?

• Thread starter broegger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequencies
In summary, the rich sounds produced by a guitar are a result of the string vibrating at multiple frequencies at the same time. This includes the fundamental frequency and several overtones. The string's vibration is a composite of these individual simple wave shapes, known as the string's normal modes of vibration. Each of these modes has a well-defined frequency, but the string itself is constantly changing shape as it vibrates. This allows for a unique blend of harmonics, resulting in the distinct sound of a guitar.
broegger
it is often said that the rich sounds produced by e.g. a guitar is due to the string vibrating at several different frequencies at once.. does this mean that there is both the fundamental frequency and several overtones present at the same time.. if so, I don't get it.. how can there be more than one frequency present at a time - seems to me that this would correspond to the string having several different shapes at every instant in time (since every frequency corresponds to a unique wave pattern), which is absurd..

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the answer maybe this: if we have a string whose extremes are fixed, if the length of the string is not an exact multiple of the wavelenght, the wave goes from one extrem to another and it is reflected back causing the superposition of the original wave with this new. This effect is replied many times so at the end, we have many different waves interfering, so then, the sound produced don't cames from only one perfect wave.

Bye

thanks for answering.

so "several frequencies" simply means that the there is no unique frequency because the wave pattern is constantly changing, which in turn is because there can't be a perfect standing wave because of the physical properties of the string (the length) or...?

broegger said:
it is often said that the rich sounds produced by e.g. a guitar is due to the string vibrating at several different frequencies at once.. does this mean that there is both the fundamental frequency and several overtones present at the same time..
Absolutely! The unique sound of a guitar (or any instrument) depends on the particular blend of harmonics that are produced.
if so, I don't get it.. how can there be more than one frequency present at a time - seems to me that this would correspond to the string having several different shapes at every instant in time (since every frequency corresponds to a unique wave pattern), which is absurd..
I'm not sure I'm getting your difficulty. The vibrating string has a particular shape, which is a composite of the individual simple wave shapes of each harmonic that exists.

broegger,

On a guitar string the fundamental is one half of a sinewave. So it starts at 0 at one end, goes up (or down), and then back to zero at the other end. So when the string vibrates at its fundamental frequency, every place along the string is going up and down (in synch), with the amplitude of the vibration greatest in the center.

All the overtones (or harmonics) are odd multiples ( n=3, 5, 7...) of one half a sinewave. So the first harmonic starts at 0, goes up, then down, then up, then back to zero at the other end. And so on. So when the string vibrates at say the n=3 harmonic, there are 2 nodes (no vibration) at 1/3 and 2/3 along the string, and in between is a shape (going up and down) just like the fundamental except 1/3 as long, and going 3 times as fast (which is why it's at a higher pitch).

Taken all together (1, 3, 5, 7...) these possible individual vibrations are called the string's normal modes of vibration. The string can only vibrate as some linear combination of these modes. That means the shape of the string when it's at its maximum displacement looks like:

fundamental: a1*sin(1*2*pi*x/L)

or fundamental and the n=3 harmonic: a1*sin(1*2pi*x/L) + a3*sin(3*2*pi*x/L)

or n=1, n=3 and n=5: a1*sin(1*2pi*x/L) + a3*sin(3*2pi*x/L) + a5*sin(5*pi*x/L)

and so on.

Each of those sums is a single function of x, the distance from one end of a string with length L. So the string only has one shape at a time.

By the way you can play around with this on a spread sheet by defining a function as the sum of the first five or ten modes, and then make of chart (graph) of the function. Be sure to have the a1, a3, a5... in your function be references to cells on the sheet so you can easily change their values and see what happens. For example, give this one a try: a1= 1, a3= 1/3, a5= 1/5...

Doc Al said: "The vibrating string has a particular shape, which is a composite of the individual simple wave shapes of each harmonic that exists."

I think broegger's problem is with words like "composite". Anyway that's what I was trying to clarify in my previous post.

thanks again.. it's just the phrase "several frequencies at the same time", which to me seems analagous to e.g. a particle being at several positions at the same time or having several different velocities..
isn't it more accurate to say something like "the strings vibration is a sum (superposition) of several vibrations with the fundamental frequency and/or some of the harmonic frequencies".. i mean, the string must have a well-defined frequency at all times or is it constantly changing or...?

broegger said:
... it's just the phrase "several frequencies at the same time", which to me seems analagous to e.g. a particle being at several positions at the same time or having several different velocities..
Actually a quite decent analogy (the one with velocity).

broegger said:
isn't it more accurate to say something like "the strings vibration is a sum (superposition) of several vibrations with the fundamental frequency and/or some of the harmonic frequencies".. i mean, the string must have a well-defined frequency at all times or is it constantly changing or...?
How is saying that the string "has a frequency" meaningful? The string vibrates. This vibration can have some certain period which repeats at the fundamental frequency, so I suppose that might be what you mean. But it also has resonant modes. These modes each have their perfectly well-defined periods, and the string "has" all of these modes after it is plucked.

Here's something interesting that you can try with your guitar. Pluck a string and then pinch it down at exactly the halfway point. What happens to the pitch? This shows that the other even modes are independent of the fundamental (and so it is meaningful to say that they exist, and that the string "has" them). This may not be possible without a fretless guitar, though. I haven't tried it on a guitar.

Last edited:
turin said:
Here's something interesting that you can try with your guitar. Pluck a string and then pinch it down at exactly the halfway point. What happens to the pitch? This shows that the other even modes are independent of the fundamental (and so it is meaningful to say that they exist, and that the string "has" them). This may not be possible without a fretless guitar, though. I haven't tried it on a guitar.

You can indeed do this on a guitar. Pluck the string then touch your finger were the string passes over the 12 th fret (don't press down - just lightly touch your finger to the string so it has zero amplitude vibration at that point). You will hear the pitch double. There are other locations that do this on a guitar but I don't remember them.

by "the strings frequency" i mean the frequency with which the particles of the string vibrates, which must be the same for all particles if the wave is sinusoidal.. or am I missing something??

if you for example pluck a guitar string at some point, then the resultant vibration can be represented as a sum of resonance mode-vibrations.. what is the frequency associated with this motion - or is it ambiguous to associate a single frequency or...?

broegger said:
... is it ambiguous to associate a single frequency ...
I would say so. The string does not "have" a frequency. The vibration has a frequency. You could say that the frequency of the vibration is the fundamental, since that tells how often the string returns to some state (disregarding decay). But you can also consider the state as a superposition of states. Each of these states has a repeat frequency.

broegger said:
by "the strings frequency" i mean the frequency with which the particles of the string vibrates, which must be the same for all particles if the wave is sinusoidal.. or am I missing something??
Why should all of the particles vibrate at the same frequency? As a simple model, consider three heavy beads connected by rubber bands in a line, and the two end beads each connected to a wall by a rubber band. Try to imagine the center bead moving up and down, and for each up-down oscillation, the two outside beads move up and down twice (twice the frequency). If you buy that, then why should the particles of the string be any different? Even one particle can vibrate at two different frequencies simultaneously (though I will neglect the physical mechanism). Imagine a particle moving back and forth between two points once every second (1 Hz). And then, as it does so, it "jiggles" at 10 Hz. What's wrong with saying that it is vibrating at 1 Hz? What's wrong with saying that it is vibrating at 10 Hz?

What are frequencies and overtones?

Frequencies and overtones are characteristics of sound waves. Frequencies refer to the rate at which a sound wave vibrates, which is measured in Hertz (Hz). Overtones, also known as harmonics, are additional frequencies that are produced along with the fundamental frequency of a sound wave.

How are frequencies and overtones related?

Frequencies and overtones are related because they both involve the vibration of a medium, such as air, which produces sound. The fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency produced by a sound wave, and the overtones are multiples of that frequency. For example, if the fundamental frequency is 100 Hz, the first overtone will be 200 Hz, the second overtone will be 300 Hz, and so on.

Why are frequencies and overtones important in music?

Frequencies and overtones are important in music because they determine the pitch and timbre of a sound. Different frequencies and overtones create different musical notes and tones, which are used to create melodies, harmonies, and complex musical compositions.

How do frequencies and overtones affect the quality of sound?

The frequencies and overtones present in a sound wave affect its quality, or timbre, by giving it a unique and distinct sound. For example, a guitar and a piano can both play the same note, but they will sound different due to the different frequencies and overtones produced by each instrument.

What is the difference between a pure tone and a complex tone?

A pure tone consists of only one frequency, while a complex tone consists of multiple frequencies and overtones. Pure tones are often used in scientific studies and research, while complex tones are more commonly found in music and everyday sounds.