Frequency and Intensity Level of Sound Waves

In summary, we can use the Doppler effect equation to calculate the perceived frequency of a sound wave when there is relative motion between the source and the detector. And, to calculate the combined sound intensity level of two sound sources, we can use the equation IL = 10 log (I1/I0 + I2/I0).
craig.16
(b) The frequency of sound waves received by a detector when both source and detector move
relative to the air is:
f=f0[u(+ or -)vd/u(+ or -)vs] . Two trains are approaching each other at a level
crossing and blow their whistles at a frequency of 500 Hz. Train 1 is traveling at 20% of the
speed of sound while train 2 is traveling at 5% of the speed of sound.
i) What is the perceived frequency of the whistle sounded by train 1 when heard by an
observer on train 2? [3]
ii) The sound intensity levels of the two trains are 88 dB and 85 dB respectively. What is
the combined sound intensity level of the two trains?

Homework Equations

f=f0[u(+ or -)vd/u(+ or -)vs]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (i):
I took u=344ms-1 (speed of sound)
vd=-0.05c (going in opposite direction of train 1)
vs=0.2c
since it is going towards train 1 i made the sign on the top of the equation a plus and since the source is moving towards the detector on train 2 I made the bottom sign a minus. Using this I received and answer of f=125Hz for the perceived frequency. Is this correct?

For the second part do I simply add the intensity levels together and divide by two to get an average since I am unsure on this part. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify and add some additional information about the concept of the perceived frequency of sound waves.

First, the equation provided in the forum post is known as the Doppler effect equation and is used to calculate the perceived frequency of a sound wave when there is relative motion between the source and the detector. It takes into account the speed of sound (u), the velocity of the source (vs), and the velocity of the detector (vd). The plus or minus signs indicate whether the source and detector are moving towards or away from each other.

Now, to answer the first part of the question, we can use the given information to calculate the perceived frequency of the whistle sounded by train 1 when heard by an observer on train 2. Using the Doppler effect equation and the given values, we get:

f = 500 Hz [344 m/s + (-0.05)(344 m/s)] / [344 m/s + (-0.2)(344 m/s)] = 125 Hz

So, your answer of 125 Hz is correct.

For the second part of the question, we need to understand the concept of sound intensity levels. Sound intensity level is a measure of the sound energy per unit area and is measured in decibels (dB). The equation for sound intensity level is:

IL = 10 log (I/I0)

Where I is the sound intensity and I0 is the reference intensity, which is usually taken as 10^-12 W/m^2. In this case, we are given the sound intensity levels of the two trains, which are 88 dB and 85 dB respectively. To calculate the combined sound intensity level, we use the following equation:

IL = 10 log (I1/I0 + I2/I0)

Where I1 and I2 are the sound intensities of the two trains. Plugging in the given values, we get:

IL = 10 log (10^8/10^-12 + 10^5/10^-12) = 86.7 dB

So, the combined sound intensity level of the two trains is 86.7 dB.

In conclusion, as a scientist, it is important to understand the concepts and equations that govern the perceived frequency and sound intensity levels of sound waves. It is also important to carefully consider the given information and use the correct equations to arrive at the correct answers.

What is the relationship between frequency and intensity level of sound waves?

The frequency of a sound wave refers to the number of cycles or vibrations per second, measured in Hertz (Hz). The intensity level, on the other hand, is the amount of energy per unit area that is being carried by the sound wave. In general, as the frequency of a sound wave increases, so does the intensity level. This means that higher frequency sound waves tend to be louder and have a greater impact on our ears.

How does the frequency of a sound wave affect its pitch?

The pitch of a sound refers to how high or low it sounds to our ears. Pitch is directly related to the frequency of a sound wave. Higher frequency sound waves have a higher pitch, while lower frequency sound waves have a lower pitch. For example, a high-pitched whistle would have a higher frequency than a low-pitched hum.

What is the unit of measurement for frequency and intensity level of sound waves?

Frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz), which is equivalent to cycles per second. The intensity level of sound waves is typically measured in decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic scale that measures the loudness or strength of a sound. The higher the decibel level, the louder the sound is.

How do frequency and intensity level of sound waves affect our hearing?

Our ears are sensitive to a wide range of frequencies and intensity levels. However, exposure to high intensity levels of sound, particularly at high frequencies, can be damaging to our hearing. Prolonged exposure to loud noises can result in hearing loss or other hearing-related problems. It is important to protect our ears by avoiding prolonged exposure to loud sounds and using ear protection when necessary.

Can the frequency and intensity level of sound waves be manipulated?

Yes, both the frequency and intensity level of sound waves can be manipulated. This is often done in audio and music production, where different frequencies and intensity levels are adjusted to create different sounds and effects. Additionally, devices like hearing aids and noise-cancelling headphones use frequency and intensity level manipulation to improve the quality of sound or reduce unwanted noise.