1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency and RLC circuits

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This was a part question and I got everything else but one part (#4!):

1) A 60-Hz generator with an RMS potential of 240 V is connected in series with a 3350 Ohm resistor and a 1.5 microFarad capacitor. What is the RMS current in the circuit?
    IRMS = 6.34 * 10-2 A

2) In the previous question, what is the phase angle between the current and total voltage (in degrees)?
    [itex]\phi[/itex] = 27.8 deg

3) What would be the average (RMS) power consumed in the circuit in the previous question?
    Pavg = 13.5 W

4) At what frequency would the circuit in the previous problems have to be operated in order to have the current and total circuit voltage be in phase?

2. Relevant equations

z = sqrt(R^2 + XC^2) <-- not sure if I had to use this one
    XC = 1/ωC
    ω = 2πf

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know how to solve this (or if I'm even using the right equations to solve for it) but I tried solving for f in the formula and I got 72.3 as the answer and it was wrong in the homework assignment. I think phase difference is pi/2 so if it's in phase, do I need to add pi/2 to my final answer...? I'm very lost with this question as you can tell.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, for one thing, it's a trick question.

What is the expression for phase angle between total applied voltage and current for a series R-C circuit?

Or: go back to part 2 and change the frequency until you get in-phase between total applied voltage and current.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    I think it's cos[itex]\phi[/itex] = R/Z, Z = sqrt(R^2 + XC^2)... I don't know if I thinking about this correctly but does in phase mean that the angle = 0?

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That formula is correct.
    Yes, "in phase" means zero phase angle between V and i.

So now what does XC have to be to make the phase angle zero?

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5
    Hmm... well if cos-1(1) = 0, then my answer has to equal 1 somehow... so wouldn't XC need to be 0 because:

cos[itex]\phi[/itex] = 3500 [itex]\Omega[/itex] / sqrt((3500 [itex]\Omega[/itex])^2 + 0^2) = 1
    [itex]\phi[/itex] = cos-1(1) = 0 deg

7. Apr 3, 2013 #6
    Hi physics 126 classmate here. I'm also stuck on this question. I propose to get I and V in phase, the frequency has to be infinity.

8. Apr 3, 2013 #7
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking cause if the XC is 0 then we would have to be dividing over 0 to get f since XC = 1/(2πf*C)... is that what you did?

9. Apr 3, 2013 #8
    yup just yolo'd and typed infinity into the answer slot. It is correct :) Also the last question, the answer is The current will be the same at very low frequencies and at very high frequencies only.

10. Apr 3, 2013 #9
    Say what! Haha awesome.

Ah, I got that one! Thanks! :P

11. Apr 3, 2013 #10
    Enjoy the free 100% for anyone googling answers

12. Apr 3, 2013 #11

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Told yu it was a trick question!

But - what's this about the current being the same at very low & very high frequencies???

13. Apr 4, 2013 #12
    It's a separate question altogether not included in the original post

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted