Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency and temporal domain

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I have a filter whose amplitude and phase response in terms of w(omega) is known to me which i calculated numerically. Hence, the value is known only for discrete values of w(omega).

Now, I want to know the output which this filter will produce on sending a temporal pulse(pulse in time domain) as my input.

I know i need to fourier transform my pulse( in the form summation(A(w)exp(iwt)) and then write the output as something like summation(A(w)*H(w)*exp(jwt)).

The question is how can i find the fourier transform (i.e find A(w) at those w where response of filter is known)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2
    Usually you model the transfer function as a polynomial of poles and zeros. You know the DC gain and you see that whenever the transferfunction slope changes +-20 dB/decade that you have a pole or zero at that place.

Edit: I think this is more commonly done in the laplace domain than in the fourier domain.

4. Jun 28, 2011 #3
    Well, since you have a filter whose amplitude and phase response in terms of w(omega) is known you can use those discrete values to determine the increment in which they are increasing/decreasing at... although I am not exactly sure how you have these values/the manner in which you calculated them.

When you transform your pulse (you never directly mentioned what kind) yielding a 'continuous' waveform, simply plug that incrementing discrete values of frequency in it. Remember, convolution in the Time Domain is multiplication in the Frequency Domain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook