Calculate Displacement at Any Frequency: f_modal, d_modal, f_actual

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the displacement of an object at different frequencies, specifically in relation to modal frequencies. The possibility of using ratios is mentioned, but it is noted that the displacement may not be proportional to the frequency due to the shape of the resonance curve. The use of a function and the accuracy of data from a simulation studio are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about analyzing displacement with a given natural frequency.
ncr7
So I have been trying to figure out how much an object is displaced when subjected to certain frequencies. If I know the modal frequency and max displacement at modal frequency can I find displacement at any frequency?

I was thinking maybe using ratios you could do the following,

modal frequency: f_modal
actual frequency: f_actual
Displacement at modal frequency: d_modal
Displacement at actual frequency: d_actual

d_actual = (f_actual/f_modal)*d_modal

Would this be correct?
The output kind of makes sense I guess...

say if your modal frequency is 2548.67 Hz creates 14.89mm displacement, and you want to know at 15 Hz. Giving a displacement of .08 mm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite vague what you are trying to find.
are you talking about a system undergoing forced oscillations? And if this is the case, by f_modal do you mean one of the the resonant frequencies?
If this is the case, the displacement is not proportional to the frequency. The resonance curve is not a straight line. You can approximate it as such for small frequency intervals. But even if you do this, you may have something like

d-d_resonance= A(f-f_resonance),

for a specific small frequency interval.

The proportionality constant depends on where on the curve you do the approximation and how narrow is the resonance curve (which in turn depends on the damping).

If you mean something completely different, never mind. Just give the details.

I guess there would be a function in this case. I am working with inventor simulation studio and it gives a displacement at natural or modal frequencies. Although I am unsure if that data is even correct because inventor maybe giving meaningless data.

Is there a way to analyze displacement if the natural frequency is given?

1. What is "Calculate Displacement at Any Frequency"?

"Calculate Displacement at Any Frequency" refers to the process of determining the displacement of a system or object at a specific frequency. This calculation is often used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of structures or mechanical systems.

2. What are f_modal, d_modal, and f_actual?

f_modal, d_modal, and f_actual are variables used in the calculation of displacement at any frequency. f_modal represents the modal frequency, or the natural frequency of vibration of the system. d_modal represents the modal displacement, or the maximum displacement of the system at the modal frequency. f_actual represents the actual frequency at which the displacement is being calculated.

3. How is displacement at any frequency calculated?

Displacement at any frequency is calculated using the formula D = (d_modal/f_modal) * f_actual, where D represents the displacement at the actual frequency, d_modal represents the modal displacement, f_modal represents the modal frequency, and f_actual represents the actual frequency.

4. Why is calculating displacement at any frequency important?

Calculating displacement at any frequency allows scientists and engineers to analyze the behavior of systems or structures under varying frequencies. This information is crucial in understanding how a system will respond to different vibration frequencies, and can help in designing more efficient and stable structures or mechanical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating displacement at any frequency?

Calculating displacement at any frequency is used in a variety of fields, such as mechanical and civil engineering, to analyze the behavior of structures and mechanical systems. It is also used in the design and testing of bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure they can withstand various frequencies of vibration. Additionally, this calculation is used in designing and optimizing machinery and equipment to reduce vibration and improve performance.