1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency distribution

1. Jun 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

my question is on part ii , can someone suggest how to do part ii please? thanks.. by the way , i have attached the working for part i

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See the document "Guidelines for Students and Helpers", at the start of this Forum; in particular, pay attention to topic 5 (about how and why should not just post images).

4. Jun 11, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since it says "calculate", I would say there is a mistake in the question.
    If it had said "estimate" then I would suggest drawing graph and fitting a smoothish curve to it.

5. Jun 11, 2014 #4
    i just need a 'rough idea' on how to start this question. can someone help?

6. Jun 11, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would be willing to help if you typed it out, but I do not look at attached photos of handwritten work. As I said, read the posting "Guidelines for students and helpers", topic 5.

7. Jun 11, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Was I not clear? There is no way to calculate it from the given information. You could estimate it, by the method I described.

8. Jun 12, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point is that you are told how many people there are between 30 and 49 but have NO way of knowing how many people are between 30 and 35. If the problem asked for the percent between 19 and 30 or between 19 and 49 then you could answer. But the way the problem is given, you cannot know how many people there are between 19 and 35 and so cannot know what the percentage is

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted