Frequency Distribution Homework: Part II Help and Attached Working for Part I

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question and a request for help on part II. The person asking for help has attached their work for part I, but the responder mentions that they do not look at attached photos of handwritten work. They suggest reading the guidelines and explain that the question may have a mistake since it asks to calculate something without enough information. The person asking for help continues to request a rough idea on how to start the question, but the responder reiterates that it cannot be calculated and can only be estimated. The conversation ends with the responder summarizing that the problem cannot be solved due to insufficient information.
kelvin macks

Homework Statement

my question is on part ii , can someone suggest how to do part ii please? thanks.. by the way , i have attached the working for part i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140611_051051[1].jpg
    IMG_20140611_051051[1].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_20140611_051147[1].jpg
    IMG_20140611_051147[1].jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
kelvin macks said:

Homework Statement

my question is on part ii , can someone suggest how to do part ii please? thanks.. by the way , i have attached the working for part i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See the document "Guidelines for Students and Helpers", at the start of this Forum; in particular, pay attention to topic 5 (about how and why should not just post images).

Since it says "calculate", I would say there is a mistake in the question.
If it had said "estimate" then I would suggest drawing graph and fitting a smoothish curve to it.

haruspex said:
Since it says "calculate", I would say there is a mistake in the question.
If it had said "estimate" then I would suggest drawing graph and fitting a smoothish curve to it.

i just need a 'rough idea' on how to start this question. can someone help?

kelvin macks said:

I would be willing to help if you typed it out, but I do not look at attached photos of handwritten work. As I said, read the posting "Guidelines for students and helpers", topic 5.

kelvin macks said:
Was I not clear? There is no way to calculate it from the given information. You could estimate it, by the method I described.

The point is that you are told how many people there are between 30 and 49 but have NO way of knowing how many people are between 30 and 35. If the problem asked for the percent between 19 and 30 or between 19 and 49 then you could answer. But the way the problem is given, you cannot know how many people there are between 19 and 35 and so cannot know what the percentage is

1. What is a frequency distribution?

A frequency distribution is a table or graph that shows the number of times each value or range of values occurs in a dataset. It is used to summarize and organize large amounts of data in a meaningful way.

2. How do you create a frequency distribution?

To create a frequency distribution, you first need to determine the range of values in your dataset. Then, divide the range into equal intervals or classes. Next, count the number of times each value falls within each class and record it in a table. Finally, display the data in a histogram or bar graph.

3. What is the purpose of a frequency distribution?

The purpose of a frequency distribution is to summarize and present data in a clear and organized manner. It allows us to understand the patterns and distribution of values in a dataset, making it easier to analyze and interpret the data.

4. How do you interpret a frequency distribution?

To interpret a frequency distribution, you need to look at the shape of the distribution, the central tendency (mean, median, mode), and the variability of the data. You can also use measures such as standard deviation and percentiles to further understand the data.

5. What is the difference between a grouped and ungrouped frequency distribution?

An ungrouped frequency distribution displays the exact values of the dataset, while a grouped frequency distribution classifies the values into intervals or classes. Grouped frequency distributions are useful when dealing with large datasets, as they make it easier to see patterns and identify outliers.