1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency in nyquists?

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    Can anyone tell me the definition of a "Nyquist" with respect to units of frequency? I didn't find it defined on the web. I presume it is some measure of cycles/sample or similar

Thanks
    Fritz

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It isn't. But I can see that a creative author might decide he can use it as a measure of the ratio of two frequencies.

Do you have a reference to where you found it? Some topic dealing with sampling an analog signal, I presume.

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    This was in a draft of a textbook. I tend to agree with your premise that this is a "home spun" term.

Thanks
    Fritz

5. Mar 29, 2012 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In digital signal processing it is quite common to measure frequency relative to the Nyquist frequency (which depends on the sample rate of course). That is no different from other dimensionless quantities used in physics (e.g. Reynolds number).

But I've never seen the term "a Nyquist" used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook